Bye Bye Bad Hair Days: Hello Perfect Blow Outs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Bad hair days are the worst. My middle school self would have undoubtedly traded my weekly allowance and my brother (just kidding Adam) for flawless hair days. I can’t tell you how much time I would have saved and how much more confident I would have felt if this exchange were possible.  In hopes of embracing my naturally curly locks I have tried a variety of mooses, gels, and sprays, but always found myself unsatisfied with the result and constantly reverted back to my trusty old flat iron. When I realized that the hair aisle at CVS was not helping my cause, I even got the Brazillian hair straightening treatment but that didn’t work since my mane is as moody as the Massachusetts weather. 

Recently, I started blowing out my hair and have been pretty happy with the outcome. I used to be intimidated with the thought of blow drying my hair and felt it was best left to the professionals but I am slowly starting to master the technique and have tips below so you can too! 

1. Wash your hair and make sure to only condition the ends (this will prevent your roots from looking greasy) 

2. Towel dry for at least 20 minutes until hair is damp

3. Apply a thermal protectant to prevent damaging your hair from the heat 

4. Use proper tools like a round brush and blow dryer with a nozzle

5. Always dry the roots first

6. Divide your hair into small sections based on personal preference

7. Finish with a touch of oil/cream at the tips of your hair 

Keep in mind that the first five minutes and last five minutes when blowing out your hair are the most important. Also, when you go to sleep make sure to keep it down- don’t use an elastic because it will crease your hair. 

Cheers to happy hair days.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.