Brooke Granovsky ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Year: 2018 

Hometown:  Toronto, ON

Major(s): Politics, History, and Creative Writing

Minor(s): CAST (Creativity, the Arts and Social Transformation), NEJS (Near Eastern and Judaic Studies), and Journalism

Her Campus: Why did you choose Brandeis?

Brooke Granovsky: I chose Brandeis because of the welcoming community, the unending ways to get involved and make a difference on campus, and for Brandeis’ academic rigor. I was also really impressed by Brandeis professors’ willingness to help their students and get to know them as people.

HC: What activities are you involved with on campus?

BG: I’m the Communications Coordinator for the Adagio Dance Company, and I’m really involved with the Ballet Club. I choreograph a lot for both of these clubs. I’m a member of the Brandeis Ballet Company and the Brandeis Beacons leadership program, as well as a volunteer chatter and host for admissions. I also write for the Justice’s arts section and am going to be in Liquid Latex later this year! In terms of quasi-on-campus activities, I handle Risk Management for the Delta Phi Epsilon sorority and write for Brandeis’ The Odyssey.

HC: Speaking of Adagio, what are you most excited for in the upcoming Evolution of Dance: Adagio Fall Show 2015?

BG: I helped hang up the white backdrop, so I’d say I’m most excited for that—just to watch it be present on stage and not fall. I’m also incredibly excited to show everyone the dances I’ve choreographed this semester. My dancers were amazing to work with, and they’ve worked so hard, so I’m excited to see them be recognized for their efforts.

HC: What has been your best memory at Brandeis so far? Anything Adagio related?

BG: Brandeis has given me so many great members– learning who my big sister was in the sorority, and confidently walking out of Olin Sang 101 after finals last year are all up there. My first semester show with Adagio was definitely a highlight. Watching people respond to my choreography and getting to meet the other 200+ dancers in Adagio solidified the sense that I belonged on campus and that I’d found my place within its dance community.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

BG: In 10 years, I hope to have helped a lot of people, and to have connected with a lot of people. My aim would be to work at a law firm and give back to the Jewish community in Toronto, my hometown. Political activism and dance classes will figure in there somewhere, too.

Fun Facts and Favorites 

Something Most People Don’t Know About You: With the exception of dance videos, I watch everything on Youtube at 2x the speed. I really love watching TED talks, and this lets me watch more of them. Plus, at this point, even 1.25 speed seems slow.

Single or Taken: I feel like the label single implies a need to be coupled…can I be happily independent? Is that a label?

Celebrity Crush: Benedict Cumberbatch (as Sherlock Holmes), Matty Healy of the 1975, Drake, Bill Hader, ft. girl crushes on Natalie Portman, RBG, Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence

Favorite TV Show: Scandal

Favorite Midnight Snack: Cheese & crackers

Cassie is a sophomore at Brandeis University from Maine, double majoring in environmental studies and history. When Cassie is not combating climate change with Brandeis Climate Justice or attending a zumba class or intramural soccer game, she can be found wandering Sachar woods, taking note on the tree species there or discussing feminism with friends in upper Usdan over a quesadilla and smoothie from Curritos.
I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.