Brianna Silverman ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Her Campus: What are you involved in on campus? 

Brianna: I was an Orientation Leader this past fall, which was awesome. I love to dance, so I’m a choreographer and dancer for Adagio Dance Company and I’m a member of Stop Motion Dance Crew. On top of that, I’m the treasurer of Colleges Against Cancer and I’m on the planning committee for Relay for Life, American Cancer Society’s largest fundraising event!

HC: Tell me a little bit more about Colleges Against Cancer.

B: Colleges Against Cancer (CAC) is sponsored by the American Cancer Society (ACS). We are dedicated to fighting cancer, volunteering for ACS, and spreading the word about cancer through advocacy and education. CAC has many small service events throughout the year but our main event is Relay for Life.

HC: Why should students sign up for Relay for Life? 

B: Relay is a fundraiser with performances, games, bake sales, snacks, prizes, and even a bouncy castle! Contrary to popular belief, Relay for Life is not a relay race. It takes place on the track as a symbol of our fight against cancer. One person from each team is meant to walk on the track at all times, even through the night. Cancer doesn’t sleep, so neither do we. We take that time to think of loved ones that we’ve lost to cancer, reflect on the pain that cancer brings, and to fight back. We walk to remember, to hope, and to celebrate the accomplishments we’ve made in the fight against cancer. Relay is meaningful, inspiring, and a whole lot of fun.

HC: How can students sign up?

B: The event is Saturday March 18th! Students can register online with this link.

then clicking “Join This Relay” or by googling ‘Relay for Life of Brandeis University.’ Participants are invited to create a team with a group of friends or a club. They can also join the Relay Committee Team or Team Chai Beta Orca if they want to hop on board an already existing team.

HC: How do you balance such rigorous academics with extracurriculars? 

B: I’ll be honest, balancing everything is hard work. It can mean some late nights and some stress. I wouldn’t be able to do it without a strong support network. My friends at Brandeis are so important to me and push me to be my best self.

Quick Facts:

Favorite food: Thai food

Favorite musical artist: Beyonce, Ed Sheeran, and Rihanna

Favorite class at Brandeis: Any Art History course

Best Brandeis memory: Reuniting with my best friends after a long break!

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.