Bargain Hunting: Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner…wondering where to get a cute costume for cheap? Look no further. Here are some places that you can get your Halloween costumes without breaking your budget.

TJMaxx: If you read my article two years ago, you will know how much I love TJMaxx! This place has cute clothes and some funky clothes, too. Shop the clearance rack for leather pants or leopard leggings. Here you are sure to find something that not everyone else has.

Urban Outfitters Bargain Basement: Once again, a great place for cute clothes, but also a great place for funky clothes. Take that pink tutu and be a ballerina, or better yet be the little girl who sang Nikki Minaj on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. The best thing to do is dig around, and draw inspiration from what you see there.

Thrift Stores: Global Thrift is a thrift store on Moody Street. This, and any other thrift store for that matter, is a great place to go if you are not looking to spend $!

The Garment District: If you have never been here, you have not lived. This place is the ULTIMATE costume shop. There is a section purely devoted to costumes, a section devoted to $1/lb. clothes (literally clothes in a huge pile on the floor that you crawl through), and a section devoted to thrifting. I went here for Purim one year, and it was the cheapest, most amazing place. If you have a couple hours one afternoon I suggest making the trip into Cambridge. You will not be disappointed!

CVS/Walgreens: Don’t shop for full costumes here, but for things you can use for your costume. For example, buy hair dye and make your hair blue so you can be Katy Perry. Or buy a deck of cards and make a skirt/dress so you can be the queen of hearts. Once again, draw inspiration from your shopping location! As Time Gunn would say, “Make it work.”

Amazon: Amazon is a great place for getting costumes. It will be cheaper than going to an iParty or any other costume shop. The only downfall with a pre-made costume is that guaranteed at least one other person on campus will have this same costume. So be original ladies, and use this as your last resort!

In the end, ladies, the best place to shop for your Halloween costume is your Closet or your Best Friend’s Closet. You’d be surprised what you can put together with what you already have. Remember, you live in New England where the weather is cold, so be practical about your costume. Also, sometimes less is NOT more. What would a Halloween article be without the famous mean girls quote “In the regular world, Halloween is when children dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” This is not always true, but if you’re going to do it, do it well (and cheaply!).

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.