Avi Cohen ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.
Hometown: Brookline, MA
Majors: Psychology, Education Studies, and Sociology
Minor: Social Justice and Social Policy

How did you become interested in your majors/minors?
I’ve known for many years that I wanted to study Psychology, it’s simply an area of study that I grew up around. I’m studying Education, but am really treating it like a focus on adolescent psychology, which is my specific area of interest. I’m studying Sociology and SJSP out of interest. I once went to a national social justice conference, and one of the people I worked with proposed this question: “If you aren’t helping others, what are you doing?” I think this quote speaks to my interest in my majors. 

How has your experience been as a STAR counselor?
I joined Students Talking About Relationships because I wanted to help people. I have experience working in the mental health field, and it is one of my passions. I thought STAR could be a good outlet for that. Thus far, STAR has been very rewarding. 

Tell us about your involvement in FACE AIDS?
FACE AIDS is the youth movement of Partners in Health, which is an international organization that works on the premise that where you live should not determine if you live. Myself and two other friends founded the Brandeis chapter because we all had participated in some sort of extracurricular activity involving charities in Africa and we wanted to continue our service in college. Last year, FACE AIDS helped fund the construction of a health center in Rwanda. This year, we are raising money to provide infants whose mothers are HIV-positive with formula — because the mom’s are HIV-positive, if they breast feed, they may expose their children to HIV, but if they don’t breast feed, the children may suffer from malnutrition. We try to take some of the concerns away and provide safe and healthy food for the babies. 

Best place to meet new people on campus: I wouldn’t say there is one specific place. But joining clubs is probably the best way to meet new people who have similar interests as you. Brandeis offers so many clubs, but if there isn’t one that you feel passionate about, start your own (that’s what I did).
Favorite movie and TV show: I don’t really have a favorite movie, but my favorite TV shows are The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, and Modern Family. And of course you can’t forget about Breaking Bad and Community.
Favorite meal on campus: Probably something from the sandwich station in lower Usdan.
Best place to go on dates: That’s really up to the people going on the dates and what they’re interested in. Boston and Cambridge offer a lot of different opportunities.
One thing people don’t know about you: I don’t really care for a lot of the new technology, like smart phones. 
Three words to describe yourself: Caring, dedicated, passionate

Relationship status: I’m in a relationship.
What qualities do you look for in a girl: Someone who is sweet, gentle, caring, and who I can be myself around.
Biggest turn off: When people aren’t genuine or don’t think about others.
Ideal first date: I think something simple is always good for a first date because it just provides a good way for you to get to know someone.
Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.