Angela Acevedo ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Name: Angela Acevedo

Year: 2016

Hometown: Queens, New York

Majors: Neuroscience and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies

Minor:  English

Her Campus: What attracted you to Brandeis?

Angela Acevedo: When I first came to Brandeis I was pre-med, and I was really interested in the science program we have here. We have one of the strongest neuroscience programs in the country, so it was the most prestigious and financially feasible option for me. Brandeis has a lot of undergraduate research opportunities which was really important to me at the time. At least educationally, I’m glad I stayed for the WGS department, which I stumbled on by taking classes for my English minor that were almost exclusively cross-listed in WGS. Sort of like a “came for the science, was too stubborn to just quit a major halfway through, and stayed for the humanities” situation. My priority in college has been my education, and I’m glad to say I’ve found at least that at Brandeis. That and the whole social justice thing. S/o to the feminist activists who raised me on this campus!  

HC: What activities are you involved in on campus?

AA: I’m one of two editors-in-chief of Laurel Moon, which is an on-campus literary magazine. I’m also on the production staff for The Vagina Monologues, and I’m involved with Brandeis Students Against Sexual Violence. Those are the three main things I’ve put my energy toward.

HC: What has been the most rewarding part of working on The Vagina Monologues?

AA: So I’ve been involved with The Vagina Monologues for two and a half years now. I acted in it my sophomore year and then I was on the prod staff last year and I continued to do that this year. I feel like one of the really, really beautiful things about The Vagina Monologues is that the cast is just full of people who are so open to connecting with each other and being friends and just sharing parts of themselves that they might not share otherwise. It’s a really safe, empowering space for so many people—prod staff included. It’s been so wonderful to get to know 35 people every year who are just ready to say “I’m having this problem, and I need support,” or “I’m willing to support you.” It’s such a beautiful, really unique space of immediate love and trust. I feel like acting in this show gives people the sense that they’re doing something important. They’re sharing narratives that rang true 20 years ago when The Vagina Monologues was first written and they’re still powerful today. So the chance to be a part of that production has been incredible for me the past 3 years.

HC: What advice do you have for incoming students?

AA: Remember that when you’re a freshmen, so is 25% of the student population, and they are, statistically speaking, super likely to be just as awkward and desperate for love and acceptance as you might feel. It’s okay to feel uncomfortable and struggle with living alone in a dorm. Other people are struggling to, and it’s usually okay to ask someone if you can vent–and then boom. The human connection you (and my previous tiny self) were longing for.

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

AA: I want to do advocacy work with survivors of sexual violence and intimate partner abuse. In 10 years I’ll probably be in some higher up position at a direct service organization. So I’d still get to be an advocate but I’d also get to take charge of projects and manage the going-ons of a direct service organization. College has taught me that I thrive managing large projects under tons of stress with huge stakes, so I might as well take my talents to where they will do good.

Quick Facts:

Favorite TV Show: Daredevil, though someone PLEASE come talk to me about how the writers forgot how to write Matt Murdock? Seriously, anytime, any place. I need to process the subpar season I just binged all of last night.

Favorite Movie: Brokeback Mountain. I don’t tend to like movies because they’re too short to make me care about the characters.

Favorite Spot on Campus: The really high fire escapes on the side of the Castle. The view is fantastic, and if you’re lucky, BranPo will come yell at you for being there.

Favorite Song of the Moment: “Separate Ways” by Journey because that’s what I was just listening to in the car

Favorite Boston Attraction: The Museum of Science. I’m a huge nerd and they sell shiny rocks in the gift shop.

Favorite Class at Brandeis: “Black Feminist Thought” with Professor Jasmine Johnson and “Sociology of Race, Class, and Gender” with Professor Derron Wallace  

Prized Possession: When I was little my I used to be obsessed with this show called “Gerbert.” I didn’t figure this out until much later, but it was a very Christian show. I definitely didn’t know that until I was super old. I really loved the show, and my mom says I broke the VHS tapes from watching them so much, which is probably where my stunning sense of Catholic morality comes from. My mom got me a stuffed Gerbert doll one year, and he’s chillin’ on my bed  as we speak.

Mya is a sophomore at Brandeis University. She is an Education major with minors in African and Afro-American Studies and Anthropology. When she’s not writing, you can find Mya playing for the Brandeis women’s soccer team or attempting to navigate Boston. She also enjoys dancing and is a firm believer that what she lacks in technique she can make up in enthusiasm. She’s originally from sunny South Florida and can frequently be seen sporting her winter coat indoors. Follow her on Instagram @myagoodman for sporadic postings of her life!
I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.