Amber Abernathy ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Name: Amber Abernathy

Year: 2018

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia

Majors: International and Global Studies and African and Afro-American Studies

Minor: French and Francophone Studies (which may turn into a triple major depending on how Study Abroad goes)

Her Campus: What attracted you to Brandeis?

Amber Abernathy: Honestly, I think originally it was the mission of social justice and what Truth Onto Its Innermost Parts means. I just really wanted to be a part of that, and now I’m slowly uncovering what that means for me and the people around me.

HC: What activities are you involved in on campus?

AA: I’m the Treasurer for Players (Undergraduate Theatre Collective) and for Black Lives Matter Brandeis. I’m also a Community Advisor, which is probably one of the most fun things on campus.

HC: What is your proudest moment at Brandeis so far?

AA: I think my proudest moment is taking place currently—being a part of occupying the President’s office and what that means for black students and students of color. I think it’s a proud moment for me because I can see the community coming together and I see so much love. I see what it means for people to be fighting for what’s true and for what justice means for them. I think that’s where the Truth Unto Its Innermost Parts comes in as well. It just makes me really proud that people are here standing up for what they want and what they believe.  

HC: What’s your advice for incoming first-years?

AA: Take your time to get to know yourself and to get to be involved on campus. I think sometimes there’s a pressure to be involved and to “get” everything and to know what to do right off the bat, but I think it’s important to be patient with yourself as you go through different experiences here that really introduce you to what you’re passionate about and what you love. And it’s okay if you don’t know right off the bat because I surely didn’t know and I still don’t know sometimes.

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

AA: I want to be a people-person. I want to have grown, to have had experiences, and to have been well-travelled. I will have been in the Peace Corp hopefully. And maybe I’ll be getting ready to start my family, whatever that looks like.

Quick Facts:

Favorite TV Show: Orange is the New Black

Favorite Spot on Campus: Second floor of Mandel

Favorite Song of the Moment: “Here” by Alessia Cara

Favorite Boston Attraction: Downton Crossing. I went to Primarck for the first time last week and it changed my life. 

Role Model: My grandma. She’s a fighter and she preserves in everything she does, and those are some of the values I look up to. She just represents who I want to be.  

Prized Possession: My rings I wear every day. One is my friendship ring: my core group of friends each have the same one. Another is the one my grandpa got for me for my birthday a few years back.

Favorite Quote: “It doesn’t interest me

How old you are.

I want to know

if you will risk

looking like a fool

for love

for you dream

for the adventure of being alive”

—The Invitation, by Oriah.  

Mya is a sophomore at Brandeis University. She is an Education major with minors in African and Afro-American Studies and Anthropology. When she’s not writing, you can find Mya playing for the Brandeis women’s soccer team or attempting to navigate Boston. She also enjoys dancing and is a firm believer that what she lacks in technique she can make up in enthusiasm. She’s originally from sunny South Florida and can frequently be seen sporting her winter coat indoors. Follow her on Instagram @myagoodman for sporadic postings of her life!
I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.