Aly Thomas ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Name: Aly Thomas

Year: 2018

Hometown: Bristol, Connecticut

Majors: African and Afro-American Studies and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies

Minor: Classical Studies

Her Campus: What attracted you to Brandeis?

Aly Thomas: The social justice and activist opportunities.

HC: What activities are you involved in on campus?

AT: Right now I’m secretary for the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance (FMLA), and I’m a writer and layout editor for Artemis Magazine, which is the rad feminist publication on campus. I also work at the Rose Art Museum and I’m doing some organizing for Back Lives Matter on campus and trying to get that chartered.

HC: What is your proudest moment at Brandeis so far?

AT: Probably when I was on the production staff for The Death of the Last Black Man In the Entire World last year and that first opening night of the play in the Rose Art Museum. I’m still so proud of everyone.

HC: What’s your advice for incoming first-years?

AT: Manage your time. Study a lot, obviously, but leave some time for self-care!

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

AT: Hopefully I’ll have a PhD in African Diaspora Studies, or at least working towards it. And maybe working at a university in their Gender Studies and Black Studies departments.

Quick Facts:

Favorite TV Show: Empire

Favorite Quote: “…she had nothing to fall back on; not maleness, not whiteness, not ladyhood, not anything. And out of the profound desolation of her reality she may well have invented herself”—Toni Morrison

Favorite Spot on Campus: The Peace Room

Favorite Song of the Moment: “Four Women” by Nina Simone

Favorite Boston Attraction: The Museum of Fine Arts

Role Model: Angela Davis

Prized Possession: My copy of the book for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuff by Ntozake Shange

Mya is a sophomore at Brandeis University. She is an Education major with minors in African and Afro-American Studies and Anthropology. When she’s not writing, you can find Mya playing for the Brandeis women’s soccer team or attempting to navigate Boston. She also enjoys dancing and is a firm believer that what she lacks in technique she can make up in enthusiasm. She’s originally from sunny South Florida and can frequently be seen sporting her winter coat indoors. Follow her on Instagram @myagoodman for sporadic postings of her life!
I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.