Alice’s Advice: Things I Learned During my Four Years at Brandeis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

What I learned most from college, was not what I learned in lectures rather it was more what I learned outside of the classroom.

Coming into college my freshman year, I had only been away from home twice in my life and never for more than three weeks at a time. I learned what it meant to share a 128 sq feet space with two other people. As an only child, I never had the experience of sharing a living space with another person, let alone two other people. Needless to say I had no idea what was in store for me. 

I learned to be accommodating to other people’s needs. 

I learned to never wash Forever 21 jeans with whites

There on the third floor of Shapiro, I had my first cooking adventures with ramen and chapaghetti. Now, after living a year in Ridgewood, I can cook a three course meal.In high school, I didn’t drink and it wasn’t until I came to college that I was exposed to underage drinking. I’ve experienced Pachanga 2010 and because of that I know now to never mix your hard alcohols.

It was also here that I was exposed to the hook up culture. When is a text considered a booty call? What to do in that awkward situation when you see the person you hooked up with in your lecture the next day?  

College has been an incredibly humbling experience for me. After struggling with Molecular Biology, I learned when to admit defeat and walk away. I aspired to be a doctor but I realized it just was not going to happen.

I’ve become stronger by learning how to deal with rejection

I’ve learned that at any point in life you can change the path you’re on

These are the things I will take away with me after I leave.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.