Akash Vadalia ’12: Presidential Candidate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Year: 2012
Majors: Biology and HSSP

What are your current involvements on campus?
These past two semesters, I have held the position of Student Union Treasurer and have worked to solve all the financial issues and payments for all the clubs on campus. I have held many leadership positions all over campus including the Co-President of South Asian Students Association, Finance Board Chair of the Student Union, Class Senator of the Student Union, Experiential Learning Fellow, Campus Center Team Supervisor, and many more. I have also participated in many clubs and activities throughout my years at Brandeis and have seen every facet and corner of this institution. From volunteering with Companions to Elders, to being a part of the Brandeis Multicultural Admissions Committee and helping new students get accustomed to Brandeis, to working on the Campus Center Team in the heart of the University, to Kaos Kids and breaking down some hip hop moves. I have even played on the Varsity Tennis Team and seen the wide variety of club and intramural sports we offer.

What made you want to run for this position?
I wanted to run for this position because in my eyes, I knew that I could succeed in this position better than any other of my peers with the 3 years of Union experience as well as campus wide knowledge and connections I have. I feel like I have a drive, a passion, to help students and the campus life here at Brandeis. I have given the Student Union my heart when it comes to change and moving forward. I have put the Union and its responsibilities ahead of homework and classwork many times and I know that my love for the Union will carry on as I hope to become President. I want to give this University and my fellow peers the opportunity to experience a whole new definition to campus life and social life, as well as giving them the change we deserve in housing, dining, and all the other major issues that lie ahead of us.

What is your vision as Student Union President?
As Student Union President I envision to incorporate transparency and hard work. I am looking to get many students involved in all facets of the Student Union. I am hoping to meet almost every student on this campus in order to hear what they would like to change, so I am not only fixing issues my E-Board sees as apparent, but also concerns the students on this campus voice as well. I also see myself helping out first hand at many community service programs, fundraisers, and other events to really get involved on campus and not view everything from an outsider perspective. I hope to move quickly and efficiently because things with administration already move at snail’s pace and I would like things to move as fast as possible from the students end.

What is one common misconception students have about electing a new President?

One misconception students have is that they believe that the Student Union President and Student Union at times does not in fact listen to the student body and that we are very exclusive. People feel that the Student Union President is the face of campus but does not hear out students on a regular basis. I hope to change that drastically while holding office hours in Usdan and Shapiro all year, along with many other outreaching events.

What is one thing you hope that the student body will consider in voting for you?
I hope they consider my ability to work hard and get things done. I have shown my ability to do that this year as Student Union Treasurer, and I hope to carry that on as President next year because I know that I will make Student Union President my life. I have grown to spend countless hours working for students this past year and getting all the reimbursement straightened away on time so that students can get their money back as quickly as possible.

How do you envision yourself working with another new President, Frederick Lawrence?
I am slowly developing a relationship with the new President, Frederick Lawrence and I can see myself and the rest of my E-Board being very much in touch with him and his office. I see myself as a very approachable person and I would love to spend a lot of my time with the administration as well hearing what the staff here on campus would like to see and being able to talk to them about student issues. I plan on making my relationship with Fred and other administrators one which is very comfortable and personal.

Abigail Katznelson is a Senior at Brandeis University studying Economics and Psychology. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is so excited to have been recognized by Brandeis as an official charter! She is a member of the Brandeis Student Union, Creative Advertising Director for Student Events, and the Vice President of Sigma Delta Tau Delta Gamma Chapter. Her interests include singing, shopping, writing and exploring exotic foods. She will attend Brandeis’ International Business School next year as a participant in Brandeis’ 5-Year Masters program in International Finance.