sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Adding Love to Your Relationship Vocab

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, it may seem like the perfect time to say those famous three words to your significant other. Before putting your love on the line, there are a few things that you should consider.

Saying ‘I love you’ to someone can be magical, special, wonderful, and can give you all the warm and fuzzy feelings that you’ve dreamed about if they say it back. Saying it can let a person know that you are serious about how you feel about them, and that you really appreciate them. The truth is, people define love very differently. Love could be a word that someone grew up tossing around very casually, or it could mean that they take the relationship as a serious commitment. It also comes with the consequences of putting one of our most vulnerable emotions out in the open and can intimidate people who aren’t ready to talk about serious feelings.  So, what do you do if you’re figuring out if the time is right? The best thing that you can do is to test out the waters and to have a conversation about how you’re feeling with the one you love. Try asking yourself these essential questions before you spill your heart out:

Have I been talking about commitment in my relationship lately?

How long have I been in the relationship?

Are they on the same page as me?

How are they going to react if I say it?

In the long run, you should definitely take the time to decide whether or not your relationship is ready to add love to its vocabulary. If all goes well, it will definitely be worth the wait.

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.