yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Activities to Do This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.
Brandeis’s rigorous academics might have you constantly hitting the books, but it’s important to take a break from studying Orgo every once in awhile and have some fun too. As the leaves turn from green to vibrant reds and yellows, grab a group of friends and make sure to participate in some awesome activities that’ll make this fall a memorable one.

Grab a basket and pick some fall fruit:   

Dowse Orchards in Sherborn, MA

Just a little over 30 minutes away from campus, this orchard will live up to all of your fruit-picking dreams. Just in time for autumn, visitors can choose from upwards of ten varieties of apples, as well as find the perfect pumpkin in their sprawling pumpkin patches. You might also want to top off your visit by grabbing some delicious cider. Nothing like enjoying the amazing versatility of the apple!

Peep some of New England’s famous foliage: 

Arnold Arboretum at Harvard University in Boston, MA

The best part of living in New England is seeing the beautiful colors of nature in the fall. While Harvard might be known for their top-notch academics, they also have great horticulture too- 281 acres of it! When walking through the arboretum, take time to not only marvel at the beauty around you, but you’ll also get to learn all about the fascinating varieties of wildlife.

Chow down at some of Boston’s best food festivals:

When the weather gets cooler, that doesn’t mean people stop wanting good food! Some of the best food festivals are in September/October around Boston. Boston’s Vegetarian Food Festival is October 24th and 25th, complete with cooking demonstrations. You also might want to check out the Quincy Food Truck Festival happening this Saturday—There’s over 20 food trucks from some from of the best restaurants in the area!

Build a blanket fort and enjoy the great indoors: 

Sometimes it’s fun to just hang out in the comfort of your dorm. Grab some blankets and sheets and set up a blanket fort inside—It can easily become a new hangout/study spot for you and your friends. Dorm-friendly s’mores (a.k.a made with a microwave) are always a treat and the perfect food to snack on in in your new mini home!

Whatever you choose to do, don’t let fall pass by without taking advantage of this wonderful time of year! 

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.