This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Being abroad has taught me so many things. At first, I came into this experience wanting a break from everything back at home. But in reality, being here makes me appreciate everything I have so much more. Don’t get me wrong, being in Prague is incredible and I am so happy that I decided to come. However, there have been numerous times where I just miss the feel of my school, friends, team, and family. For example, being able to walk into a party and pretty much know everyone was a small factor I took for granted. And there is the issue of always scrambling for a time to Skype friends who used to be a 10 second walk down the hall from you. Most importantly, once separated from everything familiar, you begin to realize which friendships you truly value and you see who’s really been there for you. It’s interesting to see who will go out of their way to send a message once in a while to check in and who doesn’t contact you at all. Actions speak ten times louder than words.

Now back to my time in Prague. I am not going to say being able to drink at eighteen and go to clubs/bars at anytime isn’t fantastic. In fact, I am pretty sure I went out every single night my first month here, which was also my coping mechanism for dealing with homesickness or Deis Syndrome.

I am attending the top ranked film school in Prague (known as FAMU). My core courses and electives revolve around the production of a film. That is my main purpose here. We split up into groups, write scripts, get production managers, hire actors, find locations within our budget, and spend a few days shooting the film. As a Film Major, this is the best program available and specifically caters to the field as a whole. Do I have many exams? No. Have I forgotten what studying is like? Yes. But my film is the most important exam of them all. So academically speaking, I am not complaining.

Now the most crucial factor when being in Prague is trying to blend in. You do not want to be “THAT AMERICAN.” So if you walk around with a giant Jansport backpack, Uggs, Lulu Lemon yoga pants, and a huge Northface jacket… then you are pretty much labeled “that American.” The key to camouflaging in this country is to be quiet and always keep to yourself. The Czech people are very reserved. So that was quite the culture shock in it’s own, imagine riding on the Tram everyday with only silence in the background. I realized then just how loud we Americans can be. In my experiment of blending in I have managed to be able to order a cappuccino to-go fluently in Czech (Jednu Cappacino Sebou), broken a toe or two on the cobble stone streets, accidently taken the tram to the slums of the country at 4 am, and learned to say no to the easy access kebabs on every corner. In Europe, Kebabs are the rage and just so happen to taste incredible, for the most part. You have been warned: Beware Of The Kebabs.

Lastly, the greatest perk about being a Brandeis student abroad is access to visit many countries across the continent. I did not realize how many fellow Deisians were abroad this fall and because of it I have become closer with each of them. It’s incredible to be able to go to a country and stay with someone solely because they go to your school. Not to mention vice versa, I have had several guests at my place whenever they pass through the Great Czech Republic. In September, we had a huge Brandeis Reunion just because we all happened to be in Copenhagen the exact same weekend. It was very spontaneous and completely unplanned. In fact, in the group I put together no one was actually really close with anyone. We were all friends of friends. But that’s what makes our school so great; we can get a random group together and have an incredible time. So for those planning to go abroad, don’t take this idea for granted. It was really nice to see everyone. Bonds were created and now we all share this special memory with each other. And I was reminded of why I love Brandeis so much.

Being abroad has definitely been the best experience I have ever had, and it hasn’t just been “all good”. There have been quite a few low points as well. But any experience needs “good” and “bad”, because without the bad you don’t grow as a person. This last month abroad I plan to make the most of everything. I know it’s going to be hard to say goodbye to Prague but then again now I have great stories to tell at that first Russell party back. Not to mention how I will be hosting an abroad kids pregame in my Ziv that first week back. Yes the future is approaching fast and my time abroad is coming to a close but let’s put it this way: If summer were for the whole year then it would take away the beauty of it. I don’t want to be at summer camp the whole year, yet I will miss summer terribly. I hope I put things in perspective for all those who are considering going abroad and for my fellow juniors leaving for the spring I guarantee you will have the time of your life. To all of my close companions on campus right now, say hi to Louie for me and know I miss you all very much. 

Repping the 305. From Miami to Boston. Likes: House music, Tuna Fish, Rom Coms, Sunshine Dislikes: Track, Roller coasters, Snakes
Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.