6 Ways to Spruce up your Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Whether you’re moving into a new space after graduation or just for the summer, these six ideas will help you settle in to your new place in style.

Plants

Add color and life to your room with plants. Potted or hanging, plants are sure to give your room that extra-homey feeling. You can choose from a huge selection from a local flower shop or stores like Ikea and Home Depot. Just don’t forget to water them!

Curtains

Add curtains to your windows, no matter the size, for a polished look. Curtains can be functional, too, if you need more privacy or a little less light in the morning. Tie them back with a cute ribbon when not in use. (Tip: If your windows are not tall, turn a regular curtain on its side and pin the long side along the wall above the windows.)

Artwork

Transform your room with personal wall decorations. Put up traditional artwork from a country you visited, drawings or paintings done by your friends or even your own creations for a truly one-of-a-kind space.

Lights

The holidays are over, but Christmas lights are still a great way to brighten up a room. A string of lanterns will also give off a warm and cozy feeling. (Double-check the restrictions for lights in your room if you’re living in a dorm.)

Maps

Maps double as both decoration and a great way to remember all the places you’ve visited (or plan to). Use traditional maps of your home state or a country you visited, or consider layout maps from museums or national parks. Place pins on your maps to keep track of where you’ve been or have always wanted to go.

Pictures

It’s always nice to see some faces you know and love, especially if you’re moving to a new place. Create fake frames out of washi tape or make this DIY Polaroid Hanger.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.