6 Activities to Do While the Weather’s Still Warm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Classes may have started, but it’s technically still summer.  Not for long, thought.  In just a matter of weeks we’ll all be celebrating pumpkin and coat season.  But before the warm sunshine leaves us and the trees go naked, here are five outdoor activities you can do to take advantage of the last warm weeks of the year. 

Kayaking on the Charles

Kayaking is a great way to spend time with friends and try something new.  Even first-timers will be able to enjoy and gentle paddle along the river.  Definitely be prepared to use those arm muscles and remember to bring sunscreen! Find out about renting Kayaks here.

Boston Harborwalk

The Harborwalk is a “continuous public walkway” that will take you along 38 miles of shoreline.  The Harborwalk is a great way to get to know Boston a little better, get a little exercise and spend some time outdoors.  When you get tired of walking, just head back into the city for some food and a little rest. For more info on the Harborwalk, click here

Plan a Picnic

If you’re feeling too lazy to head of campus this weekend but you still want to do something, consider heading outside with a picnic.  A quick run to the C-store or a little Sherman shopping will ensure you are prepared for a lovely afternoon stocking up on vitamin-D.  Of course, you can always make the trip to a host of other parks around the Boston area.  For a full list of parks in Boston, click here.

Freedom Trail

Boston is a city rich with history and there is no better way to experience this history than by walking through the city.  Lucky for us, the Freedom Trail maps out some of the city’s greatest sites.  If you haven’t walked the Freedom Trail yet, I highly recommend it.  The two and a half mile walk will take you to historic landmarks such as the Old Statehouse, the site of the Boston Massacre, the Paul Revere House, and the Bunker Hill Monument. Before it gets too cold, walk this historic route and maybe stop for lunch or a treat on your way. Learn more about the Freedom trail here. 

Walden Pond

Walden Pond is located in Concord, just a twenty-minute drive from the Brandeis campus.  The site is famous for being Henry David Thoreau’s home of a few years and the inspiration behind one of his most famous works, Walden.  Today, Walden Pond is a National Historic Landmark.  You can spend a day visiting Thoreau’s cabin, hiking around, or taking a dip in the water. To plan your day at Walden Pond, click here.

The Lawn on D

If you’ve seen photos of those cool glowing swings on Instagram, the Lawn on D is where they’re located.  The Lawn on D is a perfect place to spend an evening outside with friends.  Whether you want to take a ride on one of those light-up swings, play giant Jenga, enjoy food and drinks from a food truck or listen to live music, the Lawn on D has it all.  Find out more about this cool community space here.

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.