567 Survival Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Brandeis’s campus is known for its odd mix of architecture. Old, crumbling castles juxtaposed with newer modern building create interesting living arrangements for Brandesians. From North to Massel, Castle to east, Ziv to Ridgewood, and Mods to Grad, no other housing has such an infamous reputation as 567. The Lion King sums up the collective view of 567 well:

[On Pride Rock]

Mufasa: Look, Simba. Everything the light touches is our kingdom.

Simba:   Everything the light touches…But what about that shadowy place

Mufasa: That’s 567. You must never go there, Simba.

While I believe 567 gets a worse reputation that it deserves, and I promise I actually enjoy living in it, there are certainly some difficulties that need to be addressed. Here’s your very own 567-survival guide.

Live by the tracker, die by the tracker

As you may know, 567 is a good lengths walk from campus. In the few fall weeks we get at Brandeis the walk is easily doable. But during the first sweltering summer days or the endless winter that ensues, the walk to and from campus can be brutal. That’s why all 567 residents should have the Brandeis app, which includes real time tracking of all Brandeis transportation vehicles. This means you can see where the Branvan is in its route and give yourself time to get ready and wait at the stop conveniently located across the street. Also never neglect the Campus Joseph’s Shuttle, which frequently passes by 567 as well.

When hunger strikes, where will you be?

If the answer to this question is in your 567, listen up. Midday when you’re in the middle of working, or in the evening when you’ve just settled back into your room after a long day, a trip to Sherman can feel like climbing the Rabb steps, forever. Luckily 567’ers have two main options close to them. The first is Cappy’s Pizza. Now forget about Cappy’s because unless you’re challenged to eat more than one slice of their pizza by your crazy friends, you’re never going to want to eat from there. On the other hand, right across the street is Prime Deli. Prime is delicious and has a massive menu and should be near the top of every South Street resident’s list.

And DCL said let there be light…not

If your first impression of your 567 when you turn on the kitchen lights is “wow, these lights are really dim” it’s because they are. If your first reaction when you turn on your bedroom lights is “wow, it’s still pitch black in here” that’s because the bedrooms do not come with overhead lights. If you’re moving in with your parents, all it takes is a quick trip to Costco or target for some floor lamps. If you’re moving in alone, beware.

Asia Wok always knows

My first late-night Asia Wok order was a nerve-racking ordeal. I had developed a relationship with Asia Wok my freshman year. They were there for me in times of trouble, in times of celebration and in times of studying. I was fearful that they had forgotten about me, and more importantly, that they wouldn’t be able to find 567. But have no fear; they still know where you live. Asia Wok knows all.

Do you have friends in East? Not anymore.

Just kidding! It just becomes a little more of a logistical challenge to hang out sometimes. There will be a lot of meeting in the middle at Sherman or the SCC. But utilize the Branvan and Joseph Shuttle correctly and traveling around campus will be seamless. Just remember that it’s always waiting for the Branvan outside Usdan, especially in winter. No one wants to walk back for 12-15 minutes at night in the cold.

Photos:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/18401b2ea4f950eb0f826369c20431ac/tumblr_mf5fu…

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/56938143.jpg