This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Freshman year of college is a huge transition and very stressful. You move away from home, are enrolled in challenging courses, and are living in close quarters with a complete stranger. Whatever relationship you have with your roommate, even if you get along perfectly, it’s extremely important to get alone time. Personally, I love being around people. As a freshman, I joined a sorority, a few community service clubs, and of course, Her Campus. I’m always on the go talking to people and doing work. Although I enjoy my busy lifestyle with others and have an amazing relationship with my roommate, I need my alone time. Here are 5 ways you can get alone time as a busy college student.

1. Listen to music on your walk to and from classes: I know this sounds silly since you are surrounded by familiar faces, but it can be a nice escape from reality. Plus listening to music can help reduce stress.

2. Go to the quietest floor of the library to study: The library can be a very social place, especially at Brandeis, and it can be distracting when you’re surrounded by chatting friends. The quietest floor usually doesn’t have many students, and its so quiet you can hear a pin drop. This is the perfect place to get your homework done and have some time to think.

3. Read for pleasure: Reading an interesting book puts you into the storybook world, and escape from the stress of college life. It also helps you wind down at the end of the day, rather than being in front of a bright screen.

4. Go to the gym: Okay so you aren’t typically alone at your campus gym, but hopping on a cardio machine and listening to some motivating music definitely allows you to relax and simply think. An added benefit is physical activity releases endorphins, so you become less stressed.

5. Take a day for yourself: If you go to school near a city or town, go off campus for a day alone and explore. I did this just last week. I took the train into Boston, ate some good food, and did some shopping. I came back feeling refreshed and ready to take on the week.

Maya is currently a freshman at Brandeis University. She is planning on majoring in economics, but doesn't really know what else she wants to do yet! Originally from Northern California, Maya loves to go to the beach, travel, and try delicious food (she runs a food instagram).
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.