5 Ways to Appreciate the Earth on Earth Day 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Earth Day is April 22, 2016! As college students, oftentimes we do not seem to think about the ways we can help keep the Earth our healthy home. This article is meant to show some of the easy things we can do for Earth Day (and everyday!) that will benefit the planet in some way.

1. Change a harmful habit

Start recycling, buy environmentally-friendly products (reusable water bottles, LED lightbulbs, etc.), pick up trash whenever you see it flying across campus…These are all very easy habits we can change that will add up in the future!

2. Reevaluate shopping lifestyles

Firstly, when you go grocery shopping, don’t forget your reusable bags! The more plastic bags we use, the more waste we create, and the worse off the planet is! Also, there are certain companies that have environmentally-friendly missions. These are companies like Seventh Generation, Patagonia, Toms, and so forth.

3. Donate

You can donate directly (and easily) to organizations like Earth Day Network. It’s easily accessible online, and you don’t even have to go anywhere! One such example is the Canopy Project.

4. Invest in a bike

Now that the weather is getting nicer, forget your car when you can. Try using a bike whenever possible! Not only is it good exercise, it’s a lot better for the environment than a car.

5. Plant something

Whether it’s with the Farmer’s Club here at Brandeis, or just on your own at home, planting your own vegetables is very good for the environment. Even starting small with a potted tomato plant is a step towards helping the Earth.