5 Tips For Any Girl Planning a Backpacking Trip This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

This summer, despite mounting pressure to finally get my act together and find an internship and possibly a future career, me and my sister who is graduating from college decided to run away to England and spend three weeks backpacking The SouthWest Way. While researching and preparing for our trip I discovered several key elements that are essential to any woman trying to explore the world in a more hand on, less commercial way.

Bring a scarf

Of course bring a travel guide, sunscreen, a small first aid kit, etc. And, while It may seem superfluous, a scarf is actually highly versatile. You can use it as protection against the sun and it takes up less room than a hat, If you’re cold it’s another layer, you can use it to sit on, and you can use it to cover your head or shoulders if you want to visit mosques or churches in certain more conservative countries.

Break In Your Hiking Boots Before You Go

Hiking disaster 101: you start a backpacking trip with your brand new hiking boots, fresh out the box with not even a scratch on them, only to find out that while they fit you perfectly in the store, on the trail they pinch your feet in just the right way to leave you blistering and bleeding and miserable. Even though I’ll be using my trusted boot I’ve owned for upward of three years now, you’ll still see me sporting them around campus in the weeks before I leave, just for good measure.

Remember That You Will Most Likely Be Able To Do Laundry At Some Point

Unless you’re planning a true “survivalist” trip with no emergence from the wilderness at all, chances are you will be able to do laundry at some point. While you may be camping on the trail nine out of ten times, most hikes include several planned trips or crossings into towns to spend one or two nights in a hostel or restock on supplies. The place you stay will probably have laundry facilities or all most all hotels will let you use their washer and dryer for a small fee. Or you can stick to the basics and take a small amount of detergent with you and use whatever water nature provides.

Don’t Be Afraid To Make Friends On The Trail Or At Your Hostel

Of course trust your gut and be aware of those around you. But for the most part people on the trial will be there for the same reasons as you: to explore, discover and challenge yourself. This is a great way to meet new people of all ages and stages in their life, so don’t be afraid to socialize, offer someone you meet some of your spare trail mix, or go out for a supply run with one of the backpackers in your hostel.

Don’t Let People Talk You Out Of Backpacking Just Because You’re A Woman

Self explanatory. Girl power.

Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs. 
I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.