5 Things I Wish I Had Known As A Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

You may not speak to the people you meet during Orientation when classes kick in

Orientation is awesome, full of activities, meeting people, and exploring your new campus. Once “real life” sets in, people settle into certain routines and habits, and it’s not impossible that you will go weeks without seeing someone you saw every day during Orientation!

Getting to Boston requires some determination

Although Boston is visible from certain parts of campus, actually getting there requires a good level of willpower. Make sure you know the commuter rail’s often unpredictable schedule (and keep an eye out for random cancellations!). Also, don’t be afraid to ask for directions at Information if you don’t know how the T works.

Brandeis is small

It might not hit you within the first few weeks, or even months, but Brandeis is a small place. There are only two dining halls, one library, and you can walk from one end to the other in about ten minutes. If you ever feel like you need to get out, do! After a long day in Boston, coming back to Brandeis can feel like returning home.

It is easier than you might think to try out classes

Take advantage of the shopping period and try out all of the classes you are interested in. Making an informed decision about your class schedule will make it easier to stick to your decisions, and will ensure that every class you take is one you knew you wanted.

The activities you choose to do will probably change over the course of your semesters at Brandeis      

The clubs you join your first semester will change- it’s natural. Don’t feel like you are committed for the next four years to the clubs you join your first week at Brandeis. Try things out, take chances, and learn something new. It is never too late, or too early, to have a new experience. 

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.