4 Tips For Finding a Last Minute Summer Job/Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

With the stress of the end of the end of the semester and the beginning of finals period, there are no doubt a few Brandeisians who haven’t had much time to solidify their summer plans.  While there are plenty of activities you can do over the summer to stay productive besides an internship or job, if you’re still hoping to land a last minute work experience, then this article is for you.  As a non-career expert, but someone who is always doing everything last minute, here are my top tips to finding a very last minute job/internship this summer:

First things first, you have to prepare yourself mentally to be proactive.  Time’s a tickin’ so it’s important to prepare yourself to put in the work and effort required to put yourself out there and secure a last minute job or internship.

After you’re in the right headspace, I would suggest making sure you have all your application materials ready.  This means an updated resume, and couple drafts of cover letters you can quickly tweak and tailor to each job you apply to.  If you have all of this ready and prepared, actually applying to jobs or internships takes hardly any time. If you aren’t super confident in your cover letter writing skills, or the strength of your resume, check out these how-to guides from Hiatt.  

Check out hiring sites to quickly find postings from employers who need last minute summer interns.  My favorite is Idealist and Her Campus also has an awesome Job Board. You can also check out Hiatt’s website for countless job resources including Handshake

And finally, get ready for some rejection.  Since it’s already May, a lot of summer internship and job positions have already been filled.  But don’t let that deter you from trying, the worst thing anyone can say is ‘no.’

Good luck collegiettes!

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.