3 Simple Ways to Reduce Waste and Be More Environmentally Conscious

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

As a California native with parents who are pretty on top of it when it comes to environmental consciousness, I have always been determined to do my part in helping keep, and make our world a healthy, beautiful and more sustainable place.  Despite this determination, I’m definitely not as environmentally conscious as I could be. When I recently came across Lauren Singer’s blog, Trash is for Tossers, I was beyond inspired by Singer’s dedication to her environmental values.  Singer is a twenty-something living in New York who has been successfully living a zero waste lifestyle for several years now. Yes that’s right, Singer creates zero trash.  Well, almost. What little trash she has produced since she started living zero waste, fits neatly into a single mason jar.  Singer doesn’t even have a trashcan in her apartment! I was amazed by how Singer earnestly lives her values to the best of her abilities.  I have cared about the environment my whole life and yet I have never put in the effort to truly live by my environmental values.  With this revelation in mind, I obsessively researched zero waste over the course of several days.  I found that critics of zero waste have been quick to point out its flaws by arguing that most people indirectly contribute to waste cycles by consuming items that belong to supply chains that do create waste.  Regardless, after learning more about the growing zero waste movement, I am convinced making small lifestyle changes that reflect an awareness of the global environment is an important step towards reducing negative human impact on the earth.  Since then, I have been more hyper-aware than usual of my consumption and waste habits.  Here are the three lessons I’ve learned so far on my journey to live in alignment with my environmental values and ultimately be more environmentally conscious.

1. One of the easiest ways to be more environmentally friendly is to make small changes so you can stop making unnecessary waste.  Try making more of an effort remembering to bring reusable bags when you go shopping or carry around a reusable water bottle to reduce your plastic consumption and waste. Small lifestyle changes such as these can have a significant impact on the level of waste you create on a day-to-day basis.  It’s easy to think that using that one plastic bag at the grocery store won’t hurt anybody.  What difference will it make? In reality, not using that one plastic bag probably won’t make a huge difference.  However, think of all the people who are thinking the same thing.  That combined number of bags will make a difference.  Every little action counts.  If everybody started with small things like declining to use that one plastic bag, the world would be a much greener place. 
  2. Another thing I’ve learned is that it’s important to be open to trying new things.  It’s easy to do the small things, but sometimes it takes a little more courage and effort to make bigger changes.  For example, I decided to take the plunge and reduce waste I create thanks to Mother Nature’s monthly gift.  In lieu of tampons and pads that end up in landfills I decided to step out of my comfort zone and try using a reusable menstrual cup.  I know that for a many women abandoning the safety of tried and true menstrual products is out the question.  Thankfully, there are countless new and different things everybody can try to reduce their environmental impact.  You can try thrift shopping instead of buying new clothes, or you can try overhauling your beauty regime to include products with simple and environmentally friendly ingredients.  Whatever it is, the possibilities are truly endless. 
  3. Lastly, I’m learning to be a conscious consumer. As someone who loves clothes, this is especially important when I go shopping. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what I actually need in life to be comfortable and the answer is, not much.  When I shop I have to constantly ask myself, “do I really need this,” “will I wear this,” “will this fall apart after one wash,” etcetera. By asking yourself questions such as these you can begin to make more thoughtful choices when is comes to material consumption.  I have reluctantly recognized that it is better to have two nice, classic sweaters that will last years rather than ten cheap ones bought at fast fashion outlets that will fall apart after several seasons.  Ultimately, making smart purchases and investments will help reduce waste and be better for the environment. 
I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.