14 Things Every Brandeisian Should Do Before They Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

1. Sled Down the Library Hill. 

The hill next to the library is famous on campus for being the perfect sledding spot. A ride down the steep hill is something every Deis student should do at least once. And of course no library hill sledding experience is complete without a sled of rummaged cardboard or a tray nicked from Sherman.

2. Have a picnic on Chapels Field. 

Not just lunch outside between classes, but a real deal picnic. A blanket, fresh fruit, lemonade – the works! And of course, a handful of friends to enjoy the afternoon with.

3. See the Vagina Monologues. 

The Vagina Monologues are performed by students annually at Brandeis, and is a must see for everybody regardless of gender or sexual identity. It’s a super inclusive, empowering, honest and sometimes uncomfortable performance about womanhood, and the realities of having a vagina. 

4. Explore Sachar Woods. 

You’ve probably heard people talk about the trails behind campus, which begin by IBS. A relaxing walk in nature (while still being close to campus) should definitely be on everybody’s bucket list. Especially in fall, when the leaves are changing, Sachar Woods seems like a great place to explore with friends.

5. Go to weekday concerts at Chums featuring student bands.

You’ll be surprised how good they are, and they usually have free food.

6. Try every bagel combination at Einstein’s.

There are too many good flavors to get the same few every time, so a great way to change things up would be to try each and every bagel combination.

7. Climb the Louis D. Brandeis statue.

Be careful not to fall.

8. Be in or go to the 24 Hour Musical at least once. 

This annual spectacle is a must see/do at least once during one’s time at Brandeis. It’s always so much fun to see your friends fumbling around on stage in hilarious fashion, sining to favorite disney songs or showtunes. 

9. Be in or go to Liquid Latex. 

The annual Liquid Latex show is another must see/do at least once for Brandeisians. Body positivity, dancing, music, and liquid latex in one show—what more could you ask for? 

10. Host a dorm party. 

Brandeis may not be known for it’s partying, but everybody should take at least one night to typify their college experience and host a party in their Ridgewood, Ziv or Mod. 

11. Vounteer for a campus happening. 

There’s almost a constant string of campus events and festivals each semester that call on Brandeisian volunteers for extra support. Volunteering to be part of Reunion, ‘Deis Impact, the Festival of the Arts, Orientation, etcetera, is a great way to get more involved on campus and make new friends and memories that will last a lifetime.  

12. Take advantage of your Brandeis student ID. 

Use that ID for free entry to the MFA and discounted tickets to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and the New England Aquarium, to name a few. On occassion you can also get discounted tickets for Sox games, the Boston Ballet, and more through the Department of Student Activities as well. For more details on discounts you can get with your ID, click here. 

13. Go to a Rose Art Museum opening. 

The Rose Museum is an absolutely incredible campus resource that each Brandeisian should take ample advantage of. Each semester, a new exhibit is unveiled at opening nights that usually include food and music. It’s nice to get together a small group of friends and spend the evening perusing the art exhibits. 

14. Make an epic Sherman/Usdan creation. 

It’s no secret that ‘Deisians are huge fans of on campus dining. As a result, it’s practically a requirement for every Brandeis student to try some crazy dining hall creation. Some will work out (looking at you, waffle ice cream burrito), while others will fall flat.  

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.