Life > Experiences

Why Everyone Should Experience an Art Museum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

There’s a lot of iconic moments in the hit 1980s coming of age movie, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. There’s a parade, fancy restaurants, a baseball game and the simple joy of getting out of school. But, in my opinion, the most striking part of the film is when the trio of main characters visits the Art Institute of Chicago. In this scene, we watch as the characters become transfixed by world-famous paintings. These iconic pieces form the backdrop to a beautiful, cinematic moment. We watch them bond as friends and become more introspective. 

I was able to have my own Ferris Bueller’s Day Off trip over spring break, when my friends and I traveled for a day trip to Kansas City. While we were there, we had the privilege to attend The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. This museum is a marvel and has exhibits from nearly every time period and every continent. From Ancient Egyptian sarcophagi to modern sculptures to an extensive and diverse collection of Indigenous American artwork, I felt like I experienced every culture in one day. 

My two friends and I had a blast exploring each exhibit, taking our time immersing ourselves in the impressive works we saw in front of us. After not being able to travel for two years, I was reminded just how much I loved museums. They’re peaceful, beautiful, and in the case of the Nelson-Atkins, free to the public. Everyone benefits from attending. 

Going to an art museum forces you to contend with history and heavy philosophical issues. Learning the context of when, where and how art is created is important. It reminds us how the past continues to impact the present and how culture is formed. It also makes you ask yourself tough questions like: who owns art? How can you assign value to something subjective? Should museums have access to artifacts and art pieces from other countries, or should they be reunited and reconciled in their countries of origin? How can we reconcile an artist’s personal life with their impact on culture? Art museums don’t offer clear cut answers, they offer a space for you to learn and come to your own conclusions. Learning about different cultures and the art different people make is not only inspirational, but makes you more worldly and accepting of others. 

So, the next time you have a long weekend and want to do something with your friends, go to an art museum. You’ll have a lot of fun exploring, expanding your mind and making memories.

Charlotte Tolly

Bradley U '25

Charlotte is a third year UX design major with a passion for art and writing. In her free time, you can find her baking, reading, or spending time with her friends.