Girl On Bench With Backpack
Girl On Bench With Backpack
Her Campus Media

What to do on your Spring Break Staycation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

It’s Spring Break season – a time of renewal and relaxation from the stress and work of school life. Between the time, cost, stress and pandemic requirements for traveling to traditional Spring Break locations, more people than ever are choosing to have a staycation at home. But how can one best enjoy their staycation at home? I know personally that if I don’t try and make plans, I will end up binge watching Netflix in my pajamas all day, which is fun for a day, but boring to do for a week. So here are five ideas to help enjoy your spring staycation.

1. Plan a tea party with your friends

Throwback to when we were kids. Bust out the kettle, call up some friends and invite them over to enjoy a tea party. This can take on any form you would like it to. You can have it be a bit spooky, cottagecore or traditional English. Pinterest has several different ideas for how to make the tea party of your dreams. There are hundreds of different teas you can try. If you don’t like hot tea, you can make a cold iced tea or any drink you want. This gives you the opportunity to dress up and have a nice time with your friends doing something a little different from running down to the local coffee shop and getting a cup. 

2. Bust out the glitter glue and get crafty!

If you are anything like me, you have a thousand fun DIY’s saved on Pinterest. Spring Break is a great time to finally do some of them, especially if you live in a dorm the rest of the year. Some ideas include making a key holder for your door, sewing up some curtains or making a paper flower centerpiece. If none of those sound fun, you can always take some time to draw or paint. Art is one of the best ways to relax without having the same guilty feeling that watching Netflix tends to provide. 

3. Go explore a local park

Ok, ok… I know I said these ideas were for a staycation but spring is the time of renewed life. It would be a waste to not spend at least a little time enjoying what Mother Nature is doing. Set up a hammock or lay down a towel and just sit back and relax in a local park for a bit. Have a picnic if that suits you. If you don’t live near a park, you can always take a walk around the block and enjoy the sunshine on your face.  

4. Pamper yourself with a spa day

Treat yourself to a spa day. Most likely you have just completed midterms which can be incredibly stressful. It is time to chill out and relax a bit. Get a facemask, some candles and some nail polish, and spend a few hours treating yourself. There are plenty of DIY face mask ideas out there you can try. My favorite is some oatmeal, honey and a bit of mashed banana blended together. It not only leaves my skin feeling fresh and relaxed, but it also tastes good if it gets in your mouth. 

5. Slap on some sunscreen and have some beach (like) fun

If you have a local river, you can go there and chill out for a while. If you don’t, no need to fear – DIY is here. Find yourself a tote or kiddy pool and fill that up with water and maybe some bath salt if you are feeling fancy. Get out a beach towel, lay it on the grass and do as you please. Get yourself your favorite fruity drink and enjoy the sunshine. You can use the pool to soak your feet or if you are doing this with friends, use it as a refuel station for any and all water balloon or water gun fights. 

Eva Hocking

Bradley U '25

I am a student at Bradley University majoring in High School History Education. Throughout my time, I have been featured in several publications and earned the State Grand Champion for 4-H creative writing in 2021.