This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

I think everyone who comes to love writing experiences a unique phenomenon in their academic experience. This is finding the book that sparks your love for writing and inspiration to do so. I feel this is brought about by the way our schooling is setup. In our early education, K-8, there is an evident emphasis on reading and comprehension. This is not the only aspect of literacy, though. Later in our education the focus shifts to composition and writing. Despite this construction of curriculum in our school systems, I think there are certain overlaps of reading and composition. In my experience as someone who loves both reading and writing, I have found many others who are the same.

I discovered the book that inspired my love for writing when I was in fourth grade. I was an advanced reader at this age, so I know it might be hard to believe, but the book was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. To this day it is one of my favorite books.

I love this book for so many reasons. The plot line of this story definitely keeps you on your toes. There’s drama, romance and even comedy. The characters in this story are also very impressive. There is great diversity in the personalities, and there’s also immense character development within each individual character. Another amazing aspect of this book is the continuous theme of female empowerment. I had never read a book with as many strong women as main characters before this. Every aspect of this book made me rethink what a story could look like.

After reading this book, I began writing short stories. The first of these short stories was titled “The Notes.” It was a romance centered around a late 19th-century courtship. I loved the idea of creating my own characters and giving them their own lives. My words became more than words: they were strung together to create one cohesive, beautiful thing. I remember having my parents, teachers and friends read this story. I was so proud of this new skill and the possibilities of creation that it allowed me to use.

I’m still a big advocate for encouraging children to read, no matter what it’s about. You just have to find what works for you and what you enjoy reading about. Once you find that one book that resonates with you correctly, it inspires you to create something else that resonates with you and others. Then you just keep on writing. Sparking that creativity truly builds something so unique and beautiful in a young mind. I’m eternally thankful for parents who passed a love of reading to me. I think it has largely influenced my love for writing and the skill level that I have been able to attain. I plan to keep writing. Who knows where it will lead me…

Grace Oatman

Bradley U '25

I am a Freshman Psychology major at Bradley University. I hope to be a Pediatric Psychologist. In my time with Her Campus I would like to write about mental health in our society, as it is something I am passionate about. I also do enjoy a good entertainment piece and intend to write plenty of them too. I also currently write for our twitter page; insert self-promo here: @HCBradleyU. That's all for now though. – g:)