This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Every year, the Emmys are broadcasted to millions of people, eager to see the star-studded red carpet, the dramatic wins and losses and the infamous annual drama. The 74th Primetime Emmy Awards were no different.  

Kenan Thompson, the king of comedy, stepped into the role of host this year. He’s been a hot topic ever since he announced his exit from Saturday Night Live in July 2022. Thompson, known for not holding back during his comedy sketches, took a dig at Leonardo DiCaprio during his opening speech. DiCaprio, 47, recently broke up with his girlfriend, who just turned 25. During his speech, Thompson made a joke that Zendaya was “too old” to be pursued by DiCaprio, seeing as she just turned 26.  

Euphoria, nominated a total of 16 times, surprisingly did not win the award for Outstanding Drama Series. However, the ever-iconic Zendaya won Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her role as Rue Bennett. Her win this year makes her the youngest two-time acting winner in Emmys history. During her speech, she finally called her co-star Tom Holland ‘boyfriend’ after years of dating rumors. She said, “When I get this win, well, I didn’t have to text my mom because my mom was already there. She’s here tonight, which is very special. And I text my boyfriend.” 

Amanda Seyfried’s performance in The Dropout, portraying entrepreneur-turned-convict Elizabeth Holmes, earned her an award for Outstanding Lead Actress In A Limited Or Anthology Series Or Movie. Although Seyfried was originally undermined for her acting performance, her Emmy win proves that she can act.

Ted Lasso, deservedly, won the award for Outstanding Comedy Series. Although one of the lowest rated shows on Rotten Tomatoes, it deserved the win for its iconic one-liners and overall funny nature. Jason Sudeikis, the star of the show, has won a total of four Emmys, all in the comedy category.   

The Emmys were unforgettable this year, not only because of the iconic host, but also the history that was made. 

Leah Reed

Bradley U '26

Freshman Television Arts major at Bradley University @_leahrreed on instagram