This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Cheugy (chew-gee), which means basic or “uncool,” is a “newer” word that has surfaced on TikTok with people listing their opinions on what cheugy is to them. Cheugy is often associated with describing anything as basic, and really, anyone can have their titled view about again, anything.

On TikTok, users have given examples like “dog mom” or calling straight jeans in 2021 cheugy. However, this trend has received different thoughts because it can diminish people’s (mainly women) choice of fashion and other accessories.

Here I have listed my opinion on cheugy trends that I may currently own, have owned, or currently wear. Please don’t feel offended either.

1. TV show merch that is too much

Don’t get me wrong. I love watching popular TV shows like Friends or The Office. However, seeing the group’s photo on mugs, hats, apparel, plates and napkins is, well, cheugy. I wouldn’t want to walk into someone’s home and see coasters on the table of Dunder Mifflin (The Office merch) and a large poster of Jim and Pam on the wall to my right.

2. Beaded necklaces

Before people come talking about this one, I think beaded necklaces are so cute and match certain people’s aesthetics. But I feel like this trend will become cheugy because beaded necklaces were popular before, left, then came back this year, and then time will tell when they start to go away again.

3. Patched pants…

We all have seen this new fashion trend from Shein of different color patches on jeans. Some of the color sequences look okay. But, the ones with all purple or neon colors… no. But, some people can pull the pair off if paired right.

Who am I to say, though, as someone who doesn’t know much about fashion?

4. Honestly, Rae Dunn

Rae Dunn is a brand known for its ceramic kitchen wares often sold in TJ Maxx, Ross and Marshals. As someone who works where Rae Dunn has a lot of merchandise sold, I see many strange things with words like “Fix It, Dad.” Rae Dunn customers can often be categorized as cult too.

It’s like going to Forever 21 and seeing a cute-colored shirt with something silly written on the front or back. Rae Dunn is the same character as eyeing a cute mug with the word “gulp.”

5. The word “cheugy”

One, the way it is spelled, and two, it reminds me of the word “moist” because people often pass over that word and choose another one in order to avoid saying it. Cheugy is like that because people may often say “tacky” or “basic” to avoid cheugy.

Anna Brandon

Bradley U '22

Hi! I am Anna and a senior at Bradley University. I am a journalism major and a professional writing minor. I am a contributor to the Bradley Scout as well. I have always been a writer and a storyteller; I can’t wait to have what I love as my career. Besides writing, I like to paint, work out, and watch crime shows.