Money Accounts to Follow On TikTok Instagram?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money Accounts to Follow On TikTok Instagram?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > High School

So You’re Starting High School…Here’s What to Expect!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

High school can be a pivotal moment in your early live. With that being said, this doesn’t mean high school is the end all be all. Just like everything in life there will be ups and downs. Looking back on high school, there were things that I wish I would’ve known before starting. Here’s some of the things you should know about high school.

Surviving the “Food Chain”

For starters, I recommend befriending the upperclassmen rather than fearing them. They will be some of your greatest allies and resources. It’s important to to keep in mind the difference between befriending and being cocky. As a freshman you are at the “bottom of the food chain;” however, that doesn’t mean you won’t be respected. When I was a senior, our number one pet peeve was when a freshman would act as if they were better than everyone. The simple thing to remember about this is respect others and you in turn will also be respected.

How Permanent are Permanent Records?

I think it’s a common misconception that permanent records will make or break the rest of your life. For those who don’t know, your permanent record is essentially a file that holds all your basic information from high school. Truthfully, once you get into college no one cares about that record. In addition to that, it really won’t even prevent you from getting into college. It will not be the end of the world if you get a detention or two put on your permanent record. You aren’t a bad person if you have a few bumps in the road, and your future college or boss are likely to recognize that. That being said, regardless of what goes onto your permanent record, it’s not going to permanently alter your future success.

Do Something Extra and try an Extracurricular

High school is made up of so much more than academics – that is however the most important part. The other things that go into it is extracurriculars like sports or clubs. Some of the best people I met were because of the clubs I joined. I recommend trying things and see what fits. Like everyone always says, you’ll never know if you don’t try. Sports can be a great way to stay active and do something you like. Extracurriculars are always something you can stop doing if you don’t enjoy it anymore.

College already?!

Trust me I know, thinking about college while you’re only in high school is scary. I started my search the summer before my senior year. The window of time you choose to put your college search into isn’t going to make things more difficult. I had friends that started freshman year and friends that didn’t start until Christmas break of our senior year. Your journey is what whatever is going to work for you; don’t let other people’s paths discourage you. I visited two colleges and only applied to those two. I found the college I liked and when I got in, I knew I was going to accept. On the other hand, it’s also very normal to not know where you want to go or if you even want to go to college. That’s okay! These are decisions you need to make for yourself – not someone else. It doesn’t matter where you choose, what path you take or the timeframe you put yourself on. It’s about where you see yourself being happiest.

Josie Smith

Bradley U '25

I'm a junior, journalism major at Bradley University! I love serving as this chapter's editor-in-chief.