My reflections from transferring schools

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Transferring. A word associated with failing out, not making friends or moving back home. However, that was not the case for me. I transferred to Bradley from a four year university I loved. I had the whole welcome-week spiel. The overnight orientation with icebreakers and uncomfortable conversations. I loved it, but personal difficulties made me leave my dream school. 

Coming to Bradley this fall was different. We did not have an orientation until after move-in. There was no transfer-specific program online to meet friends or potential roommates. I felt in the dark. After the first two weeks, I’ve been starting to adjust, getting involved and making friends. I have two reflections from my experience transferring, thus far.

Social media is not always your friend. It tore me apart to see how excited Bradley students were to move in and meet up with their friends. Not to mention how disheartening it was to not see my friends from my previous college.  My brain told me I was the only person upset and struggling to meet friends. That was so wrong. Social media is a facade, and there are many other people in your exact spot. As a matter of fact, I promise your old friends miss you as much as you miss them.

Time spent alone is good. This semester is the first time I haven’t had a roommate. I always dreaded alone time. I would do anything to stop it. However, I am realizing it was the best thing for me. I created a space I adore. A space in which I am using to grow through self-care activities/hobbies. I am truly loving the single dorm life.

Transferring can be difficult, but I got through it. As a result, I cannot wait to see the things I accomplish, overcome and embrace in my journey at Bradley University.

Madison Prasun

Bradley U '26

Hey, I'm Madison Prasun. I am a sophomore transfer student, studying computer science at Bradley.