My Top 10 Rom-Com Movies

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

I have seen a lot of rom-coms, but these are the ones that went above and beyond. I picked these choices for many reasons but especially because they leave you wanting that kind of love in your actual life.

1) “Set IT UP”

This is about two overworked assistants setting up their bosses so they can have more free time to have a life outside of work. Obviously it ends up with the assistants falling for each other but their love story might be my all time favorite. Not only does it have the enemies to lovers troupe, but they create the iconic phrase “and yet” which is used to describe that they like each other despite their flaws.

2) “hOW TO lOSE A guy in 10 days”

If you haven’t seen this movie, you are missing out. It about this journalist who is writing about “how to lose a guy in 10 days” and the guy is placing a bet to prove he can make a girl fall in love with him in 10 days. Throughout the whole movie they are thrown challenges in order to keep/break the relationship. I have to rank this second because the cast is perfect. The amount of crazy stuff that happens in this movie makes you want to watch it again and again.

3) “Anyone but you”

I’m not going to share much for this movie only because just recently came out in theaters. This movie carries the plot of enemies to loves, fake dating and forced proximity. This is the movie to watch if you love rom-coms. Plus the chemistry is unmatched.

4) “Palm Springs”

This story follows two people who are stuck reliving the same day. It has some pretty great plot twist and the comedy in unmatched for the amount of craziness that happens. Everyone will enjoy this movie plus it has Andy Samberg so even though this is a plot that is overplayed, it’s taken from a new angle.

5) “HoliDate”

This movie is about two people who agree to be each others Holidate, that includes being each others dates to every holiday in the year and only holidays. It doesn’t have the best plot but the chemistry is there. Each holiday is some new problem but the Fourth of July was definitely the best. Overall, I did enjoy watching this movie, and I would recommend you watch it at least once.

6) “knight and day”

One thing you can always count on is Cameron Diaz giving a fantastic rom-com performance. I loved her acting in “What happens in Vegas,” “The Holiday” and “The Sweetest Thing.” However, nothing compares to the plot of “Knight and Day.” This is what all action and romance movies try to be, the only one that can top it is “Mr. and Mrs. Smith.”

7) “TO All The boys I loved Before”

I loved the idea of her writing letters to all the guys she’s ever liked, its such a romantic and sweet concept. The cuteness that comes from this movie is overwhelming. She drove for him even though she hates driving and he went across town for her favorite snack, like this is the definition of acts of service type love.

8) “Serendipity”

This is the movie for all the hopeless romantics who believe in fate. Johnathan and Sara meet one night and Johnathan thinks its love at first sight. Sara tells him she believes in destiny; therefore, she leaves and if the universe wants them together then it will happen. I couldn’t stop watching this movie because the amount of times they missed each other by seconds made me so mad, but the ending was worth it.

9) “Crazy, Stupid, Love”

The plot to this is a little overwhelming at first because the movie follows three different love stories. I promise though each of the love stories are worth watching especially when they all come together. This has a little bit of something for everyone, and I promise you will watch it again because it’s that good.

10) “When in Rome”

In this movie Beth, the main character, goes to her sister’s wedding in Rome and gets drunk. While drunk she made her way to the fountain of love and takes out four coins. Now back in New York she is being followed by these four guys. She falls for a man named Nick and wonders if his love is real or from the coins. I loved the Nick and Beth story line but I didn’t love some of her admirers at times — they were a little creepy. Overall, this movie did not disappoint, and I would turn it on again to watch.

I can go on for days about different rom-coms to watch but these are the ones I would tell you to watch first. I hope you enjoy these movies as much as I have.

Ann McManus

Bradley U '25

Hey!! My name is Ann and I'm a junior journalism major with a minors in creative writing and political science. As you can tell I love to write, but when I'm not, my favorite activities to is reading, crocheting, or catching up on my favorite shows/movies.<3