Life > Experiences

My Survival Guide for Long-Distance Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Valentine’s day is approaching, and love is in the air. Being in a long-distance relationship when everyone around you is going on a date with their partner is hard. If you’re going through this, you’re not alone. Know that there will be bad and good days, but as long as both of you are willing to put in the effort, your relationship will last. If you are looking for some tips on strengthening your relationship while being apart, here are some of the activities that I enjoy doing with my partner.

Just for a little backstory, I have been in a long-distance relationship for almost a year. Going into it, I was not entirely sure that I wanted to commit to someone when the future of seeing each other in person was unknown. I had to learn how to adapt to being apart. I am someone whose love languages are quality time and physical touch. In the beginning, I struggled to feel loved because my love languages were not being fulfilled. As time went on, things began to come easier. We created a list of things we could do together, despite the distance between us. Now onto the date ideas!

Self-care and dinner together

If you are wanting to keep it simple and easy, this is one that you can do together after a long, stressful week. We have fun picking out a face mask and an easy dinner to make. One fun thing about this is that if you are not craving the same things, you can make whatever meal you are feeling. This has eliminated some of the stress of planning out a meal that both of us can make. If you would rather not cook, you can always order food to your house. I find it fun to order my partner’s dinner and vice versa.

A Movie night

If you are looking for something more relaxing, this is by far one of my favorite dates to do together. Pick out some of your favorite snacks, grab a blanket, and get cozy. FaceTime makes it easy to see each other while watching a movie, making it feel as if you are watching it together. If you are not one for movies, there are a lot of good shows that you can also binge.

Getting ready for the day

This may not be for everyone but I find it comforting to wake up and get ready with my partner. Once again, FaceTime is your friend when you are in a long-distance relationship. This idea can be saved for the weekend when you are not rushed to get out the door. You can make breakfast together and enjoy each other’s company despite being miles apart.

Sending a Care package

I love sending surprise packages to my partner. This is an easy way to remind them you are thinking about them throughout your week. Since Valentine’s day is quickly approaching, I recently made a themed box to send to my partner as a Valentine. You can include small gifts and candy that your partner enjoys. I also like to decorate the inside of the box to make it more personal and exciting when it is opened.

Haley Slagel

Bradley U '24

My name is Haley Slagel and I am a senior Nutrition and Dietetics major. I love everything about food and talking about it. I also have a cat named Minnie who I love and adore!