This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

This summer, I completed my first full-time internship. I’ve worked part-time during the school year, but for the last twelve weeks, I was working full-time at an educational consulting company and getting paid — thankfully! After working my first full-time job, I thought I would reflect on the lessons I’ve learned and how I’ve grown after having a long internship. 

For starters, it’s okay to branch out and apply for internships outside of your major! I was worried upon accepting this internship that my major skills wouldn’t be relevant. Turns out, the internship was management and operations oriented, and I’m a designer! Luckily, the company I worked for needed a lot of materials redesigned. My skills suited these tasks perfectly, and I suddenly became the de-facto designer for the company. Even though it wasn’t in the official job description. Alongside the other operations tasks, I got to do what I love. I feel more well rounded as I gain experiences I simply wouldn’t have in my regular classes. 

Next, it’s possible to make connections, but you have to be intentional about it. I worked at a remote company, which made interactions with my fellow interns and management a little more challenging than in person work. So, I did the best I could. I made sure to ask people about their day and how they were doing. I would even ask them if I could help out with their tasks if I had some downtime. Most importantly, I asked for contact information so I could stay connected with them in the future. 

Last of all, it’s so important to balance work and play. Personally, I loved working full time because there’s nothing I hate more than summer boredom. That doesn’t mean there weren’t days where it was hard to stay motivated and focused. To fight burnout, I made sure to keep having fun in the sun. I made it a priority to do something I loved every day, whether it be hanging out with friends, going to the pool or playing with my dog. If I did nothing but work, I would get exhausted. Having a job is also about replenishing yourself outside of work.

I hope you’ve enjoyed my reflections, and I’ll catch you up next summer for whatever adventures I have ahead! 

Charlotte Tolly

Bradley U '25

Charlotte is a third year UX design major with a passion for art and writing. In her free time, you can find her baking, reading, or spending time with her friends.