This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

A little more than a year ago I wrote an article about my favorite Pacifica products. However, today I will be discussing this brand as a whole and, more specifically, what makes them sustainable. Pacifica offers skincare, makeup, haircare, body and fragrance products. I have tried at least one product from each category but significantly more from the skincare category. I love this brand, and I am always so quick to recommend it to people who are searching for a new skincare routine. A huge part of what I love about them is their products are reasonably priced and still maintain the same — if not better — quality as the more expensive brands.

Brand overview

In 1996, Brook Harvey-Taylor set out to create a beauty brand that was accessible in price while remaining clean and non-toxic. Since then, the brand has continued to produce and create products for the benefit of their customers and the planet. The brand makes a point to uphold their original “key brand pillars: Clean Ingredients, Always Cruelty-Free, Sustainable Packaging and Community & Compassion.”

Product composition

As I previously stated, Pacifica is committed to providing clean and non-toxic beauty products. They have been 100 percent vegan and cruelty-free since they were founded. They are even PETA certified. All products are “formulated without SLS, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, mineral oil, animal testing, animal ingredients, peanut oil, and propylene glycol.” Overall, they aim to only use ingredients that have a low impact on the planet, humans and animals.

Unfortunately, Pacifica is unable to use 100% natural ingredients. However, they have a strict “no-list” of ingredients they will never use in their products. The non-natural ingredients they use approved clean ingredients that do not appear on their no-list. Those ingredients are indeed still safe for consumers and help maintain efficacy. Thankfully, they maintain a very low percent of non-natural ingredients. Although they use some non-natural ingredients, they do maintain the status of a clean beauty brand because their selected non-natural ingredients are still classified as clean.

Their products are also gluten-free. Every ingredient is thoroughly researched and will not be used if it does not meet the company’s standards. That being said, some products will utilize hydrolyzed barley proteins. However, Pacifica does require their raw material supplier to provide clear documentation that they are using gluten-free hydrolyzed barley proteins.

Packaging

*All information not linked can be found within their “Compassion Standards” found near the bottom of the homepage.

Pacifica makes sure to meet certain criteria set forth by their “Compassion Standards.” All aspects of the company must live up to these standards, and their packaging is no exception. The company strives to minimize waste wherever they can. They do this by eliminating any unnecessary features from products and packages. When it comes to packaging, they are committed to limiting waste through the weight and amount of said packaging. They hope to see their company use zero virgin plastics. Until then, they are using at least 50 percent post-consumer recycled materials in more than 85 percent of their bottles. In addition to the actual product packaging, they make sure to use FSC certified paper for their boxes.

Because 100 percent of their bottles are not made from post-consumer recycled materials yet, they are taking steps to remain accountable. Found in their Compassion Standards, they have enacted their “100% Plastic Collection Plan” as part of their dedication to accountability. As part of their “100% Plastic Collection Plan,” they have partnered with Plastic Collective, which is a foundation that provides the necessary recycling resources to their current projects. Through Pacifica’s partnership with Plastic Collective, they are collecting and recycling “the plastic equivalent to the total amount of plastic used in Pacifica products.”

Contributions

Aside from their partnership with Plastic Collective, Pacifica also partners with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and Gentle Barn in the pursuit of both human and animal rights. They also makes donations to their local women’s shelters, animal shelters and many other causes in Portland, Oregon and the California-area.

Shopping at Pacifica

If after reading this article, you still aren’t completely sold on Pacifica, here are some perks to shopping at Pacifica. Occasionally on orders over $25, Pacifica will include a free promotional sample. As I am writing this, they are automatically giving all orders free Vegan Ceramide Eye Patches. In addition to the eye patches, they are also offering the choice between a free Glow Baby face wash mini or a Glow Baby face lotion mini on all orders over $25. They also offer free shipping on orders over $50. Trust me, with the low prices and abundance of options, you won’t have any trouble reaching $50 and getting your money’s worth. For instance, I recently placed a $50 order that included six items in addition to my free mini gift and the automatic free eye patches. Those products ranged from $2 to $16. With this order, I needed face wash but was also looking to try new products. If I had only purchased the face wash I would have spent around $15, as the face wash is $10 and standard shipping is around $5. Keep in mind, shipping may not be the same for every location.

Pacifica also has a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee on all products with the exception of “last call” items. For exceptions, guidelines and further information, please review their return and exchange policies here.

If you’re anything like me and want effective, sustainable and affordable skincare, I highly recommend shopping at Pacifica. Be on the look out for another Pacifica article where I will be reviewing my latest product purchases!

Josie Smith

Bradley U '25

I'm a junior, journalism major at Bradley University! I love serving as this chapter's editor-in-chief.