May’s Wackiest Holidays and How to Celebrate Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Every year, Instagram gets flooded with pictures of our furry friends on “National Pet Day” (April 11) or tasty treats on “National Donut Day” (June 4), but some holidays just don’t receive as much attention. As we enter this new month, I think it is important to recognize the best holidays that May has to offer. 

May 9 – National Lost Sock Memorial Day

Whether they were stolen by the laundromat, eaten by the dryer or buried in the closet, we all know what it feels like to lose a trusty sock. But on May 9, you get the chance to remember your cozy friends with National Lost Sock Memorial Day. Unfortunately, no one knows the origin of this special day, but I think we can all agree that the creator was looking out for us all. If I had to guess, my story would go a little something like this: 

A bright, young college student was doing laundry after her school’s Her Campus meeting one day. Everything seemed to be going fine until she collected her things from the dryer and folded all her clothes, only to find that one of her favorite socks had gone missing. Oh, the horror!

Of course, that may or may not be true, but either way, we must celebrate! To celebrate National Lost Sock Memorial Day, it’s time to say goodbye to their counterparts. Whether that involves recycling them as dust rags and sock puppets or simply investing in some brand new pairs, it’s time to stop sulking over the missing singles and finally put them to rest.

So, can I get a moment of silence for all of the lost socks out there? 

May 14 – National Dance Like a Chicken Day

As it turns out, the chicken dance is not just reserved for weddings and school dances – it also has a day all to itself. National Dance Like a Chicken Day falls every year on May 14. The song that led to the iconic chicken dance was originally created by Swiss accordionist Werner Thomas in the 1950s, with the dance moves coming shortly after.

To celebrate this dance-tastic holiday, we have a record to break! The record for the Longest Chicken Dance was set on July 4, 2010, in Mandan, South Dakota. Over 130 local groups took to the streets during the town’s Independence Day parade where they stood single file in a line that stretched over 1.6 miles and simultaneously danced the Chicken Dance. 

Now I know what you’re thinking: why do we need to have a day to celebrate the Chicken Dance when we can shake our tail feathers any day? And you’d be right. There is nothing wrong with celebrating every day of the year but you definitely don’t want to be the only one caught sitting on the side lines on May 14. So break out those old dancing shoes, hit the dance floor and get ready to dance the night away!

May 20 – National Be a Millionaire Day

I think we have all thought about what we would do if we had a million dollars in our bank account, and lucky for you, National Be a Millionaire Day is all about daydreaming. Have you designed your dream house yet? Have you planned your dream vacation? If you haven’t, May 20 is your lucky day! Break out your budget book and decide what you would spend your money on if you had unlimited funds, because today, anything is possible.

Even though we can’t all become millionaires overnight, there are some things you can do to celebrate National Be a Millionaire Day that will set you up for financial success in the future. The “National Day Calendar” recommends starting a savings account or reviewing your finances with an expert. On a smaller scale, you can create a spending log to track how much you spend in any given month. Budget plans can help to ensure that you are not overspending and, if you’re anything like me, they usually end up saving you money. By keeping you accountable for every penny, you start to weigh the pros and cons of each item before you purchase to decide if it’s actually worth the money.

If that’s not your style, you can always indulge in ten 100 Grand Bars and it’s basically the same thing, right?

May 29 – Put a Pillow on Your Fridge Day

To wrap up the month, we have perhaps the wackiest of them all: Put a Pillow on Your Fridge Day. Celebrated yearly on May 29, this holiday dates back to traditions from the 1900s. Families believed that placing an item from their bedroom – a nightgown, linen, or today, a pillow – in their larder (pantry) would bring them good fortune and plentiful food. With the invention of the refrigerator, they realized that food tended to stay more fresh in the cold and as the food moved, so did the cloth. 

For college students especially, this holiday also serves as a reminder that sleep is important. It is easy to stay up all night doing homework or talking with friends, but the more you sleep, the more your academic performance will improve. In fact, college students who pull all-nighters are likely to have a lower GPA than those who don’t. So don’t leave your pillow on your fridge too long, because you’ll need it at the end of the day!

But when it comes to celebrating, this one is simple: put a pillow on your fridge! Whether it ends with good fortune or just a reminder to get more sleep, I think you’ve won either way.

As it turns out, May is a month full of celebrations. But when you take a step back, every day is a chance to celebrate something, you just have to find out what that special thing is for you.

Honorable Mentions:

Allison is the Campus Correspondent and the Founder of the Bradley University chapter of Her Campus. She is a senior at Bradley majoring in Journalism and Social Media Marketing with a minor in Management & Leadership. In her free time she enjoys baking, hiking, or curling up on the couch with her cats.