Style > Beauty

Makeup And Skincare Products I Recommend

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

As a teenager, college student and black girl, I have had my fair share of products that have and have not worked, acne breakouts and heaven-sent products. Today, I will be talking simply about products I recommend which I had an amazing experience with. 

The first thing I am going to start with is Mary Kay products. Mary Kay is a skin care line and something I have been using since the beginning of my life. I love this brand, but now as a college student, I do not use it as much because they are a bit pricey. In my experiences though, it’s been worth it. Some of my favorite products from this brand are the “Satin Hands” collections, “Botanical Effects Regimen,” and my favorite product which is the “Timewise Moisturizer” which has SPF in it. Another product that I like to pair with foundations is the “Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation.” It is just so easy to use and sets makeup in so well. All of their products are amazing and convenient. Some products that are similar to the products from Mary Kay are products from Clear Proof which I am in love with their acne treatment products. They are very easy to use and extremely effective. 

The next product I recommend is the “Maybelline Foundation.” This was a foundation that my aunt gave to me and my sister when we were around the ages of 15 and 17. It is a great foundation for beginners and I think it has the perfect coverage if you end up finding it in your right shade. When you have a foundation, do not expect soap and water to get it all off.

This leads us into the next product I want to bring to the table that everyone needs is one of the best makeup removers I have ever used. The “Garnier Skinactive Micellar Cleansing Water.” This product is very sensitive but gets so much makeup off of your face without oil, alcohol or fragrances. A great product also if you don’t wear makeup a lot, it keeps your skin in a calm state. Another makeup remover that I recommend would be the the makeup melting “Clensing Balm” from E.L.F. This is also another great beginner brand when it comes to moisturizer and serum, etc.

Then, the products I am about to list are my heaven-sent products. Raw shea butter, a cocoa butter stick, beeswax chapstick and some “Hello” Toothpaste. These products are amazing products that are completely natural. With the shea butter, it is advised to put it on after you dry yourself from a shower and your skin will be moisturized all day. Then you will use your cocoa butter stick on your face instead of the shea butter. Personally, this is how I do it because I feel that the cocoa butter is less shiny and easier to smooth into the skin than the shea butter is. Then beeswax chapstick from the brand Cococare is an all natural lip balm which keeps your lips moisturized and looking smooth. Finally, using the “Hello” Toothpaste, brush your teeth. This toothpaste may not cancel out yellow but it is natural and much better for your teeth than a lot of other toothpaste is. Then for my black girlies, if you are looking for an oil that will not stunt your hair growth, there is a Jamaican Black Castor Oil which is as natural as you can get it. Then other oils used for hair growth are blackseed, coconut, olive, jojoba, argan, avacado, marula, rosemary, and baobab which are best used on 4C. If you would like to read more about the benefits, click here. You could also oils as a moisturizer too. 

That’s where we will end it for this article readers. Back to the drawing board for 2024!! Happy New Year!!

Jasmyn Burton

Bradley U '26

I am a freshman theater performance major, thinking about minoring in African American and music studies. I joined her campus because I wanted an outlet to write more about what I want instead of the essays we are forced to write in college. I plan to stay in Her Campus for my full college career.