This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

I am already mentally preparing for Thanksgiving because there is so much delicious food at dinner that I cannot move for at least two hours afterward … but there is always room for dessert! I love cooking and baking and try to when I can for the holiday, however, I can never outcook my mom and grandma, as they have mastered their amazing Thanksgiving dishes. Here are a couple of dishes that you can bring to your dinner table this year. 

Mashed Potatoes

The dish my family has at Thanksgiving only has five ingredients in it. I am a sucker for mashed potatoes. It has to be my favorite food at the table every year (topped with gravy of course). We make this amazing carbohydrate side by peeling potatoes and boiling them, adding a few slabs of butter, half to a full cup of milk and about a tablespoon of salt and pepper. The online recipe gives great suggestions about the amount of each ingredient to use, as well as helpful directions on how to make the mashed potatoes perfectly.

Green Beans

Let’s add a few vegetables! Now I’m not a huge fan of green bean casserole, so I am going to tell you a very simple roasted green bean recipe. Similar to mashed potatoes, there are only six ingredients: salt, pepper, green beans, garlic, olive oil and parmesan cheese. All you have to do is place the green beans in a casserole dish, toss them in olive oil, add the garlic, salt and pepper and place them in the oven for about 15 minutes. The recipe will help you with specifics, I hope you enjoy it!

Baked Beans

Now I am not a baked beans fan either, however, this recipe is something I look forward to every year. Beans are baked with ketchup, brown sugar, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar and onion. Though it may sound like an interesting combination of ingredients, it turns out delicious! A secret ingredient my brother-in-law adds to the recipe is two tablespoons of bacon grease (which is probably why I like them). If your grandpa loves baked beans as much as mine does, then surprise him with this amazing dish!

Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin pie is probably the easiest dessert to make. My grandma just copies the back of the pumpkin pie can and calls it a day! Every year it tastes as if she bought it from a bakery. This pumpkin pie calls for pie crust (which can be purchased from the store), sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, cloves, eggs, pumpkin puree and evaporated milk. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, slowly add the evaporated milk, pour onto the crust, and bake! Your family and friends will sit in awe as they eat the delicious pumpkin pie. 

Becky Rose

Bradley U '23

Hello! My name is Becky Rose and I am a nutrition and dietetics major at Bradley University. I have a passion for sharing with others about how to improve their health and wellness and cannot wait to share more through my writing for other students. Follow me on Instagram @becky32301 to get to know me more!