linkedin 689760 640jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
linkedin 689760 640jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

LinkedIn Tips & Tricks for Newbies and Regular Users

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

LinkedIn is an online social networking site and app that allows its users to engage in networking for free. To put it simply, it is a professional social media site. The easy-to-use platform will enable you to create a well-thought-out page in less than an hour and help your chances of securing a job along the way. 

LinkedIn has millions of job listings. You can apply to many in one simple step: by pressing a button that sends them your profile information. This is one reason, among many, why it is important to have a detailed page with accurate information.

Having a professional and developed LinkedIn page is more important to employers than you would think. According to a 2019 report, 90% of recruiters and hiring managers used LinkedIn to effectively vet their candidates and determine which would be the best fit for the position. In this article, I will be going over a few things you can do on LinkedIn to attract recruiters and boost your professional connections. 

New User Tips & Tricks

It is unfortunate that there is no new user “crash course” to help unknowing users avoid the embarrassing, auto-on features of LinkedIn, so I’ve compiled my own list of things you should know.

1. Turn off job updates while you are creating your profile. On the bottom of the window that allows you to add a job experience or edit one, be sure to check that the “share with network” button is off (example below). If you choose to leave it on, any updates you make to your LinkedIn page can be shared with your network. Updates will either appear on your network’s feed or even be sent in an email. Typically, they read: “Congratulate (you) for starting a new position as __”. If you are just updating your page with positions you have had for a while, the email and post are not necessary. It also becomes an annoyance if you have a typo or want to make a change and keep updating the same post. This has the potential to be sent out to your network multiple times. 

\"Share With Network\" option on LinkedIn
Morgan Casey

2. Edit your privacy settings so that other users cannot see if you viewed their page. In Account – Settings & Privacy – Visibility there is the “profile viewing options” button. When you click this, you will be able to edit how much other users can see when you visit their profile. If you choose not to change your settings, then when you view someone’s page it will tell them your name and headline. Your headline typically showcases your school, location and degree. 

3. Your initial networking or connection message when you choose to connect with someone will be “Hi (user you have requested), I’d like to join your LinkedIn network.” Start connecting with alumni from your area of study and use your message to build a relationship with them. Ask for advice, what they liked about their alma mater, or what clubs they suggest you join. Building authentic connections is a huge component of LinkedIn, which leads me to my last point:

4. Make sure that each person you connect with is beneficial to have in your network. Random students who only connect with you because you go to the same university will begin to clog up your feed. You want to be able to connect with others and interact with posts regularly, which is a lot easier to do when you have a network of people who you know and respect. 

Experience Does Not Only Mean Job Experience

Under the About and Activity sections on your page is the Experience section. A common mistake unemployed college students make is leaving their Experience section blank. It is there for you to show employers any important positions you currently have or have had in the past. The perfect example is being on the executive board of a club or being a peer tutor. These positions are not exactly jobs but consider this ground rule: if you are gaining professional skills from a position, employers would like to see that! Another tip to use when deciding what to include: most employers do not want to see positions that ended five years ago or more. 

Add More Sections

When viewing your profile on the web version, scroll past the About section to see a blue oblong button on the top right that reads “add profile section”. Clicking this will enable you to add volunteer experiences, projects you have worked on, honors & awards, courses and so much more. This is the perfect tool for college students who have completed a particularly impressive course or project. A ground rule for these sections: include only 300 level and above classes and do not include more than five. This pull-down menu is also where you can add any organization involvement. If you have changed positions in a club you can include it all under one post by typing “member” as your position, and then elaborating in the description like this: 

LinkedIn club description example
Morgan Casey

Lastly for this section, if you have any strong skills, take a skill quiz! Skill quizzes are offered by LinkedIn in many categories to show employers proof of the skills that you state in your profile. They’re quick and you can even find study guides online to use before you take them! 

Overall, as long as you don’t leave your LinkedIn profile blank, you’re on the right track. Just remember: the more you update it, the more information you’re giving to employers. Something as small as your involvement in a particular club may be the reason they choose you over other applicants! Good Luck!

Morgan Casey

Bradley U '23

Morgan is studying marketing at Bradley University with minors in professional writing and business analytics. After college she plans on pursuing a career that involves brand marketing.
Allison is the Campus Correspondent and the Founder of the Bradley University chapter of Her Campus. She is a senior at Bradley majoring in Journalism and Social Media Marketing with a minor in Management & Leadership. In her free time she enjoys baking, hiking, or curling up on the couch with her cats.