This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

When I first entered college, I had no idea of what I was doing or what I was getting myself into. I remembered feeling nervous about being away from my family, having a random roommate, and sharing the floor with other students.​​ Then, months in, I found myself making University Hall a home away from home. 

See, what a lot of people don’t tell you about college is the hardships you go through – from the late night cramming sessions, mental breakdowns, and unexpected family situations. I struggled my first year because I was worried about my financial situation. I started to work different jobs to help lift a burden off my mother while she paid my tuition. I also wanted to have spending money because I enjoyed going out with my friends. Nonetheless, I had to stop worrying about finances and realize that nothing in life is certain and everything works out in the end. I had to learn how to keep climbing. 

Despite every challenge I have faced in college, I also have memories I will cherish forever. So here’s a letter to a few of my special moments.

Dear family, 

When everyone else kept saying negative comments about me being a journalism major, you all lifted me up. You have always pushed me to follow my dreams, and the support doesn’t go unnoticed. From reading my articles, listening to me brainstorm, or even when I felt writer’s block, you all have been the support I needed. Without you all, I wouldn’t have had the strength to keep pushing through college. Not only have you all given me unconditional love, but you have taught me that I can do anything I set my mind to, I appreciate you all for always pushing my capabilities. Thank you and I love you. 

To the Communications department, 

Thank you for molding me into an aspiring journalist. Due to the many courses I’ve taken in the GCC, each faculty member has pushed my creativity. I am now influenced to use my voice in the media because it holds power. Although I didn’t like editing, I have gained a new skill. New skills that I am ready to adapt in my future career. 

Dear 908 roommates, 

Thank you for our endless trips to Chili’s and where almost everyone gets chicken crispers. Thank you for our Walmart trips where we roam around for hours and can never leave the store. Thank you for our apartment dinner nights, sip n’ paints, and random karaoke sessions. Most of all thank you for our crying and venting sessions. For this, I have learned that vulnerability is not weak. I am so proud and looking forward to our future adventures together, please know that our friendship doesn’t go unnoticed. I have cherished every moment as much as I cherished our friendship. 

To my sisterhood, 

Thank you for always holding me accountable! Not only have I found my strengths but I have found a lifetime sisterhood. You all have pushed me to make a difference in someone else’s life and for that, I will always be grateful. Not only have you all pushed me to become a better person, but Epsilon Eta has molded me into a confident, passionate, and brave Alpha woman who will not only just serve in her community, but pave the way for future generations. 

Last but not least, 

Dear Bradley, 

Thank you for shaping a lost freshman into a wise senior. I am going to miss the Taste of Bradley, the Lighting of the B, The Bradley Fund, and even Bacci’s mac and cheese bites. Most importantly, I will miss the Garrett Center for creating a safe space for me and other students like me. But the Garrett Center is a place where I ate a lot of good food, had rap battles, attended different cultural events, and was even pushed to socialize. 

To the class of 2022, we might not have any idea of how to handle adulting. Some of us are afraid to start our grown-up jobs. Some of us have no idea of what we want to do after today, and that’s okay! Find your passion, use your voice because you are heard, and take every day after this one step at a time. Enjoy this moment because we did it! Life is nothing but a climb, so let’s continue to reach the mountain top.

Kianna Goss

Bradley U '22

Hi my name is Kianna, I am a journalism major with a double minor in sociology and advertising with public relations. I enjoy creative writing, traveling, and trying out new recipes.