This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Hey boos! As we all know, spooky season is officially upon us. You might be asking yourselves, “how should I celebrate?” This can be a tricky question to answer, with classes fully underway and COVID still looming over our every move. But fret not fellow ladies, I’m here to tell you that simply getting in the spirit is the first step to a celebration for Halloween. One of the best ways I’ve found to do this is to just relax and watch my favorite Halloween flicks. I’ve got a horror-aversion-friendly list including my favorite animated, throwback and well-known spooky films. In no particular order, let’s get into it.

Hocus Pocus

It’s the story of a young boy who moves to Salem, not believing in witchcraft. But after reawakening the infamous Sanderson sisters, he sets out on a journey of salvation, awareness and love. This Halloween movie will give you all the witchy vibes you can handle, along with lots of laughs.

Corpse Bride

In this claymation film, Tim Burton paints a situation from Victorian-era England.  We see the main character, Victor, struggle to find his way out of his romantic underworld conundrum. This movie will bring plenty of chuckles with a happy ending.

The Addams Family

This classic Halloween movie follows a family of monsters, The Addams Family, through their scandal when a long-lost relative returns. This film gives us all the creepy, crawly and ghouly energy we need this fall.

Nightmare Before Christmas

Tim Burton does it again with this well-loved cartoon classic. Jack Skellington loses his passion for Halloween, and we watch as he finds it again, along with finding love. We see all things spooky in this movie, and I just love it.

Casper the Friendly Ghost

Here we follow Casper, a friendly ghost who has lived in an abandoned mansion for many years with his ghost uncles. When a young girl moves into the house, they become friends. Somewhere in this ghostly tale though things go wrong, and it’s up to them to solve it all. This movie is heartwarming enough to help you face this fall weather.

Coraline

When young Coraline moves into an apartment with her parents, she begins to explore and discovers something seemingly innocent. Eventually, she sees just how sinister these findings are, she must fight to save those in the past, present and future. This animated classic has so many spooky and theatrical vibes, just as a true Halloween movie should.

Ghost Busters

Ghostbusters is a classic in many categories, but it follows a ragtag crew of paranormal investigators as they hope to save New York from the impending doom of the other realm. It’ll give laughs until your stomach hurts and send chills up your spine.

Hotel Transylvania

This new-age cartoonish film is such a fun one. If you love to reminisce on a time when it was socially acceptable to only watch cartoon movies (or just never grew out of it), this is the Halloween movie for you. The cuteness of this family bonding and romantic film will cheer you up despite anything that might be haunting you this season.

Of course, this list is not inclusive of every great Halloween movie that ever was, even those that exclude the horror. That list would, no doubt, go on forever. But I think it’s a good start, an attainable goal for those looking to have a spirited Hallow’s Eve. So with this list, I send you on your way. Hopefully, you have the spookiest of times. Happy Halloween everyone!

Grace Oatman

Bradley U '25

I am a Freshman Psychology major at Bradley University. I hope to be a Pediatric Psychologist. In my time with Her Campus I would like to write about mental health in our society, as it is something I am passionate about. I also do enjoy a good entertainment piece and intend to write plenty of them too. I also currently write for our twitter page; insert self-promo here: @HCBradleyU. That's all for now though. – g:)