This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

DIY astrology necklaces and bracelets are great gifts for friends and family that put a unique, handmade twist on jewelry. 

As I contemplated gift ideas for my close friend, I thought that I’d make her a necklace of her astrological sign, Pisces. Seeing as how Pisces is a water sign associated with the color purple, my game plan was to purchase some supplies at Hobby Lobby and use a chain as well as some paints that I already had at home. After buying a couple sets of multicolored beads, a few needles of varying widths and a blank pendant, I had everything I needed. 

Astrological signs convey a lot of information about the person under a specific sign, and making a necklace of someone’s astrological sign can help them display who they are, as well as make a cute, wearable and reusable gift. So not only is it sustainable, but it’s a cute way to connect with your friends. Because you’ve made the bracelet yourself, you don’t need to worry about unfair labor conditions or unethically sourced materials.

Keep in mind that if you don’t have a spare chain, paints or paintbrushes, you’ll need to get these as well. Make sure that all your pieces are compatible with each other. Personally, I bought the needles in case I needed to make the beads a little bit wider to fit on my chain.

Making a gift for your loved ones by hand shows how much you care for them and what you’d do for them, as well as it being sentimental and very sweet. Making a necklace or bracelet for their astrological sign just adds another layer to that, showing how you listen to them and learn about them. 

Pick out an appealing pattern of beads that don’t try too hard. You want them to be able to wear it, otherwise, it’s a pointless gift! The pattern I went with for her necklace was an alternating pattern of two lavender beads, a silver one and then two more lavender beads. 

Once you’ve done that, you’ll need to check what the symbol of their sign is. Practice painting it out on a blank piece of paper before you actually draw it onto the pendant. After enough practice, paint the symbol onto the pendant. Be sure to take your time, you’re not going to want to rush it and make a mistake.

Now that you’re done picking out your pattern of beads and have drawn their symbol on the blank pendant, make sure that it’s dry. Slide the pendant onto the chain first, and then put your beads or other decorations evenly on both sides. If your pattern isn’t even, don’t stress it. It’s up to you how you want the necklace to look. Applying it evenly to both sides of the pendant just helps keep the pendant centered on the necklace. 

Now that it’s done, use a stop bead on both ends, and voila! Your necklace is done.

Amal Choudhry

Bradley U '23

Hi, my name is Amal! I am currently a junior at Bradley University. I am a psychology major with a Biology minor. I have a deep appreciation for literature and I love snow globes.