Wellness > Health

Breast Cancer Support Organizations You Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

As we all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. But what does that really mean? For me, it’s important to take time to recognize this disease as a real issue in our world today. I do this by furthering my knowledge, supporting individuals going through this or are otherwise impacted by this, and researching where I can advocate for those with this disease and those surviving from it. The following organizations are some that put effort into recognizing issues that people afflicted with this disease face, research what can be done to help these individuals, and put forth their best solutions.

Breast Cancer action (BCA)

This organization aims to solve the many social injustices dealt with by those who have breast cancer. The founders and supporters of Breast Cancer Action (BCA) aim to dignify individuals with breast cancer and face this disease not as a tragic personal injustice, but instead as a health crisis which has led to a large number of social injustices (which they intend to rectify). They do this by encouraging supporters to bring injustices to the attention of politicians and demand change. BCA hosts many nationwide virtual events that feature key speakers and allow for everyone’s voice and thoughts to be heard.

Living Beyond Breast Cancer

Living Beyond Breast Cancer (LBBC) is an organization that aims to educate and support those with breast cancer and their caregivers. They provide important info via social media and webinars. LBBC also works to provide support for people through support groups and helplines. National conventions are also held by this organization to spread awareness and make sure people know about their services and how to access them.

Metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC) Alliance

Metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC) Alliance is a research and support organization for those living with metastatic breast cancer. MBC Alliance leads several research initiatives with the assistance of patients and professionals; this is done in order to ensure optimal effectiveness and comfort within the treatment of Metastatic Breast Cancer. This organization also works hard to advocate for those with Metastatic Breast Cancer by educating the public on this disease and working tirelessly on making real and important changes for those suffering from it.

young survivor coalition (YSC)

The Young Survivor Coalition (YSC), like all of the other organizations, works to support those afflicted with breast cancer. With this being said, the YSC is unique it focuses mainly on working with young adults that have this disease. The main goal of this organization is supporting this community and making sure their voices are heard. This is done by encouraging community members to volunteer, advocate, participate in fundraising events, host their own events or donate.

metavivor

Metavivor is a non-profit research organization. It is mainly led by volunteers that make an effort to vastly improve the quality of life for those with stage 4 breast cancer. Metavivor also aims to change Metastatic Breast Cancer from a terminal diagnosis to chronic. This can be done through research and improvement on treatments. This organization also works to improve education and support resources.

SUSan g. komen

Susan G. Komen is currently the largest breast cancer organization. They are well-known for their research efforts, which are comparable to that of the government’s at this point. This organization really emphasizes the importance of education about breast cancer and support for those with breast cancer. Their efforts are really making a major difference in the lives of many today.

Hopefully education about some of these organizations has inspired others to learn about breast cancer and support one or more of these organizations. Thanks for reading! :)

Grace Oatman

Bradley U '25

I am a Freshman Psychology major at Bradley University. I hope to be a Pediatric Psychologist. In my time with Her Campus I would like to write about mental health in our society, as it is something I am passionate about. I also do enjoy a good entertainment piece and intend to write plenty of them too. I also currently write for our twitter page; insert self-promo here: @HCBradleyU. That's all for now though. – g:)