Style > Decor

Best Way To Decorate Your Dorm For Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

I have always loved the fall season, more specifically Halloween. Because of that, I was desperate to decorate my college dorm my freshman year. It was the first time I had a large space to decorate for a holiday, and I could not be more excited about it. That was until I realized I would have to go find decorations and spend money doing so. Nonetheless, my excitement continued, and I began my search shortly after. I was able to decorate around my bed, rather than the whole room, and I was beyond proud of it. I used faux spider webs, colored lights, spiders, signs, pumpkins and blankets to create the perfect Halloween safe-space near my bed. I’ll tell you exactly how I did it all for under $30!

Start at Dollar Tree

It may seem like the obvious starting point of your dorm decorating journey, but it really is my tried and true shopping spot for decorations. It’s extremely underrated, despite its constant popularity among college students. The store, especially the one across from Bradley’s campus, typically has decorations for the next holiday out at least a month in advance. This allows for browsing and planning, while assessing your options and considering them when you see your room again. Some things that I’ve frequently gone back for are spider web materials, smaller signs, buckets and spiders.

My freshman year, my entire bed was decorated and I had lights on my wall that were hung up with Command Strips. I then changed the lights to Halloween lights (from Target — more on that shortly) and covered the lights with the spider webs and fake spiders. It wasn’t a ton of decorations, but it added a fun vibe to it all, and I was obsessed with. As for smaller decorations like signs and buckets, those went on my desk since it was my other personal spot in the shared dorm room. I got to enjoy the added spooky vibe whenever I was working on things for school.

Next Stop is 5-Below! 

Although I don’t truly want to go on and on about 5-Below (it’s never my first choice), it is the next best place for low prices. In a previous article of mine, in which I praised 5-Below, it’s obvious how much love I hold in my heart for the store. However, in the past, they just haven’t had a ton of things for Halloween. They have upgraded over the past few years, though, so it may be entirely true that this year is their Halloween year!

From a quick look over their website, they have great decorations for your walls and your desk. Desk decor is underrated when looking at the dorm, but I truly believe you should utilize the space since it is so small and it can be easy to overlook. When it comes to seasonal decorations, I will always stand by their pillow collection. I love to have everything in my room centered around a theme, and that includes my pillows. It can be hard to find pillows that are seasonal and functional — not just to look at. 5-Below is the place to look for those!

Can’t Forget Homegoods, T.J. Maxx and Marshalls!

The trifecta of manageable prices and cute decorations! These stores, I feel, are sometimes forgotten about during the Halloween season. Their time to shine is typically during the Christmas season, but it can never hurt to scope out their goods for Halloween. They typically have more adult-based decorations, such as wine glasses or kitchen towels. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t use them to create something more fun, if you wanted to. For example, you can use the wine glasses and small food containers during your scary movie night.

The trifecta is my second favorite destination for shopping, and they have never failed me! As I’m sure you know by now, I love to have my bed fit the theme, and that means I am an avid Halloween-blanket collector. I have found some great finds by looking through their bedding section and their seasonal blankets. If you don’t want them on your bed specifically, they can always be used when friends come over or when you get cold. Along with that, there are always cute trinkets that can be scattered around the room to add small touches everywhere.

Finally, Let’s Go to Target! 

I’m not going to lie, my favorite place on earth is Target. Anyone that knows me knows I live and breathe Target. I would honestly rather look through the Target app on my phone than scroll through all my social medias combined. Therefore, I can never mention shopping without highlighting Target! Every year, they come back with the same basics just alternating between designs. They are my absolute favorite place to get Halloween throw blankets for my room. Although they are a great size and texture to be used for sleeping, most of them end up being used as decorations. Luckily, they are always nicely priced around $10. They typically have matching pillows, but they are the kind you only use as couch decor, rather than anything practical.

Another thing I will always look for at Target around Halloween is any small trinkets that are in the dollar section. Everything is under $5, and I typically find at least two things to put on my desk or dresser for an added bit of character. They frequently have a bird collection, and each bird is then dressed in its own costume. They also have smaller witch-inspired things like potion bottles filled with glitter. I always recommend stopping at Target, but their prices can be a bit more expensive than the other places I listed. I can easily spend over $20 while shopping there. I know not everyone can, but it is worth looking through if you’re able to.

Kylie Kruis

Bradley U '25

I am the current president at the Her Campus at Bradley University chapter. I oversee the general operations of the chapter, run meetings, and correspond with HCHQ. Beyond Her Campus, I am also the current community service exec chair for my sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. I have been part of the organization since my freshman year after leading a volunteer group for several years prior to college. I am also the current community service outreach member for Bradley's psychology club, Psi Chi and Psych Club. As the community service member for both, I am constantly reaching out to other organizations in the community to collaborate on creating a better overall town. I am currently a junior at Bradley University in Peoria, IL, majoring in Psychology and English - Creative Writing with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. In my free time, I enjoy hiking with my boyfriend, spending the weekend with my family and dogs, and writing short stories. I'm a new Bachelor nation fan and have extremely strong opinions about most people on them. I also enjoy several podcasts ranging from comedy to true crime. My passion lies with volunteering and being a leader for others whenever possible.