Life > Experiences

A Reflection on My Time Spent Studying Abroad in Dublin, Ireland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

As I’m writing this article, it has been two weeks since I first arrived in Dublin. On one hand, it feels like I just got here, but on the other hand, as I walk through the city, I realize just how comfortable I’ve become and how much I’ve learned since being here. It’s making me wonder how it has only been two weeks and not two months. Doing daily writing and journaling through my travel writing course has helped me remember what I’ve done and how I felt about it so I can truly reflect on all of the experiences I’ve had.

My key takeaway from this trip is gaining a greater understanding of both Ireland and the world. Before arriving, I had absolutely no idea just how long and rich the history in Ireland was, or even just in Dublin for that matter. It’s amazing how for the entire two weeks we were here, I found myself continuing to learn new things, even about buildings I thought I already knew everything about. Our most recent walking tour especially contributed to this as we walked around past many places I was familiar with, including Christ Church Cathedral, which I was sure I already knew the history of. However, as our tour guide talked about bars, brothels, dead bodies in the attic, serial killers accidentally discovered, and the inspiration behind one of my favorite cartoons, Tom & Jerry, I realized I hardly knew anything about the stunning church at all. This really opened my eyes to how much history Dublin holds, and learning this history really helped me gain a greater understanding of the city and of the country as a whole. Knowing the amount of history in Dublin alone really puts things into perspective about how much there is to discover in the rest of the world. 

One thing that really helped me grasp all I’ve learned on this trip and understand how I felt about it all was doing daily writings, both for class assignments and journaling. I tried my best to fit everything I possibly could into this trip, meaning there were many long, tiring days. Each day filled with new and exciting experiences. Taking this class really forced me to reflect on each day, writing down my thoughts and feelings rather than just what the experience was. This made me remember everything a lot clearer than I would have otherwise, all while improving my writing skills in the process. I learned to think critically about my experiences and write concisely about them to get the point across, but not lose the interest of the audience. I also learned a lot about audience and purpose that I will continue to use in my future writings.

I had a lot happen during this trip. Things such as the end of a long-term relationship, signing the lease on an apartment, passing out in the middle of Dublin Castle Courtyard, and so much more. Journaling and writing essays throughout the entire trip not only helped capture the planned experiences, but also the unplanned chaos that came with it, giving me an even greater understanding of my experiences and personal growth over the last two weeks, and I look forward to sharing these experiences in future Her Campus Articles.

Christ Church Street Overpass Dublin Ireland
Original photo by Katelyn Hampton
Kate is a Senior Mechanical Engineering student with a concentration in Biomedical Engineering at Bradley University. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, watching Netflix, working out, creating art projects, and cuddling with her dog and two cats. Kate is the Assistant Graphic Designer on Bradley University Her Campus's Social Media Team as well as Vice President of Epsilon Sigma Alpha, a member of Society of Women in Engineering, and a member of Bradley's Honors Program Advisory Council.