7 Tips to Incorporate Alternative Seating into your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

I hate chairs. I’m sorry, but from my perspective, traditional seating options are uncomfortable and mild torture. Chairs shove the complex human body into a stiff, uncomfortable, 90-degree angle, and expect us to just accept it.

American schools often add a desk to the chair. Oh my goodness a two-in-one! So efficient, right? Not when the always-too-low desk requires students to hunch over and develop neck and back pain at the ripe age of 15.

Okay, I could go on about the idiocy of rigid sitting and posture-destroyers (I mean I haven’t even mentioned sports bleachers yet), but let’s keep it positive.

Alternative seating is a life-saver when you’re like me and find productivity impossible in standard seating options. So, with my years of frustration and experience, here are some of my tips on how to sit a little more comfortably.

Get those feet up

Remember circle time in elementary school? We all sat crisscross applesauce. Now, we need to go back to the glory days.

Especially for those with dysautonomia issues (like myself) having your feet below the rest of your body can cause blood pooling and an uncomfortable sensation in your legs. The easiest way to fix this? Get your feet at level with your pelvis.

The easiest and most compact way to do this is by sitting crisscross-applesauce (or pretzel style). Gravitate toward wider chairs that leave enough space. Couches or loveseats are great options if you are looking at existing chairs in your local library or student center.

If crisscrossing isn’t your style, embrace your inner passenger princess and just put your feet up. Lean back and rest those heels on your desk. If you aren’t in your own space and have to worry about manners, consider purchasing a footrest to achieve a similar result.

Stay Cushy

Who loves lying on cement? Not most people. Pretty much everyone I’ve talked to can appreciate a nice comfy couch, so it baffles me as to why we make chairs out of hard plastic, wood or metal.

Cushions are probably one of the easiest ways to make sitting a little more comfortable, so use them! Give your bones a little more comfort. If you are seriously worried about falling asleep, avoid lying down and go for a firmer cushion.

Make sure to get a desk chair with adequate squish, go for the couch-style seating in libraries, and add pillows or cushions to seats that need improvement. To add squish to pre-existing chairs, look into chair cushions (often at Five Below), wad up a sweatshirt or even get a nicely cushioned backpack to use as a back pillow.

I know most people are used to the idea of comfortable chairs barring productivity, but turn it around! Make the rules of your life, and train yourself to enjoy work a little more.

Support that spine

A supported and aligned spine is usually an entirely more comfortable position to be in. If you talk to the ergonomic nerds, they will blab your ear off about spine alignment science. They do have a point, but we aren’t here for the science, just solutions.

If you are looking for a back cushion/rest, focus on something that is a little firmer around your spine area. A lot of the best products curve inward for your vertebrae and stick out around it for support. Another thing to try is lumbar support. It’s never something you think you need until you get it, and for me, it can even help stomach cramps.

Your spine goes all the way from your neck to your booty, so don’t only look at the back! Sometimes I find it nice to get work done with a firm neck pillow to keep my head upright for me. Your neck works hard supporting a big brain all day, give it a rest every now and again.

On the other end of your spine, your tailbone is probably a little overlooked as well. Take some weight off of it by getting those feet up! You can even find seat cushions shaped for your behind. The indents look silly but help avoid the dreaded numb butt sensation.

Mini fun fact: female-born hips ergonomically work well in saddle chairs, so if you find a saddle desk chair … maybe it’s worth a try!

Bottom Line: Follow the natural curve of your body! It is built that way for a reason, settling for uncomfortable, unfit, rigid positions leads to joint pain you don’t have to sit and accept.

Floor Moments

“Ew! Disgusting, the thing I put my feet on!” I’ve heard this line too many times, and you know what? I don’t really care. We sit on chairs just fine, and butts go on those. Therefore, the floor works.

There is something grounding about being right there on the ground. Work with gravity and just make the floor a place of comfort. I prefer to sit in a corner on the floor, taking advantage of the two walls for back support. This gives me ample space to contort my limbs however I want.

I do recommend adding some sort of cushion to make hard surfaces a little more comfy. Floor pillows or bean bag chairs work fantastic.

One of my favorite products is my crazy creek chair. I discovered this beauty as a camp counselor allergic to grass, and it has honestly changed my life. This little beauty folds out onto the ground and acts as a mini rocking chair. It’s glorious and a great way to get work done, right on the ground.

Stay grounded and find comfort right down on the floor.

Productivity is in your lap

Now that you are sitting comfortably, it’s time to get stuff done.

Don’t get me wrong, desks are great, but there are other ways to be productive without having to center yourself around them. Bringing your work to eye level is comfortable. Get a laptop raiser, or extend your desk to where you want to sit.

Laptops, of course, work fantastic everywhere. If you still want a desk situation, try out a lap desk or tray. A lap desk sits directly on your legs, a hard surface balanced by a cushion. If you want something a little more stable, a lap tray has legs that open right over your lap, hovering just above your thighs, not requiring your balance.

In high school I was known as clipboard girl, I would ask to do quiet work on the floor and cuddle up with my clipboard for assignments. Clipboards can go almost anywhere and let you do paperwork where it’s most comfortable for you!

Don’t be confined by your desk, find ways to bring your work to a comfortable level that works for you!

Use your resources

Probably the best purchase I made for my college dorm was getting a desk chair with a footrest. It’s a small detail but has made a world of a difference in actually getting work done and sitting comfortably. I got it on sale for less than $100 on amazon, and it was worth every penny.

Do some research. If you notice a problem, try and find a way to fix it. It’s easy to get used to discomfort, but stepping out and away from it can be monumental.

Here are some notable and unique products I love or know others love.

These are just a few examples. There are so many products out there. Do some research and find what might work well for you!

Know Yourself

It all comes down to you.

You know yourself and what works for you. Think of what makes you comfortable in life, and apply it to your sitting style. You deserve to sit comfortably, so don’t be afraid to differ from the norm a little and sit uniquely. Fidget and move while working if you need! Not everyone can sit still and that’s okay. Get a swivel chair and bounce side to side, get a little basket of fidgets or a wobble seat.

No matter where or how you work best, there is a way to do it comfortably. Experimentation doesn’t hurt anyone. Find products and positions that work, and when all else fails, try something new!

Jessica (or Jessie) and is a contributor for Bradley U's Chapter of Her Campus and an Advertising and Public Relations major at Bradley University. She loves writing a good listicle. Jessie is on the Bradley Her Campus social media team, the Bradley Speech team, and is involved in various other extracurriculars. When not running around loving her busy schedule: she enjoys reading a good fiction book, biking, sudoku, creating fake websites and flyers, and doing various little craft projects. Jessie is passionate about the power of communication and loves to write - hopefully you like to read! :)