7 Pandemic Friendly Activities To Do This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

With finals just around the corner, we are all waiting for the arrival of summer. Taking a break from school and spending some much-needed time with friends is great, but after already experiencing one summer in quarantine, how can we make this summer different?

There are plenty of pandemic-safe activities around Peoria that can make this summer feel just as special as it did when we were kids. Here are just a few of my favorites:

Hiking

Though it may look especially urban, Peoria is home to gorgeous hiking trails that are fit for every skill level. If you’re looking for something nearby, the Pimiteoui Trail is a great place to start. This two-mile trail runs from the Forest Park Nature Center up to a beautiful lookout point on Grandview Drive. Even closer to campus is Rocky Glen Park. Set on 125-acres and just five minutes from campus, this park is home to stunning waterfalls and rock formations – hence its nickname, “Peoria’s Mini Starved Rock.”

Peoria Zoo

I can’t remember a summer where my family didn’t visit a zoo at least once. Lucky for you, there’s one close by! The Peoria Zoo has all of your favorite exhibits from the reptile house to the African safari. To ensure safety, the zoo is requiring all visitors to wear facemasks, maintain a social distance from other groups, and stay on marked pathways that will prevent too many guests from passing one another at any point. There is an entry fee of $10.50 per guest but a day at the zoo can’t be beat.

Luthy Botanical Gardens

Located just behind the zoo, the Luthy Botanical Gardens provide a great array of flowers, trees and fountains that can bring anyone a little serenity over the summer. The gardens offer classes and tours but admission is free if you’d rather walk around the park on your own.

Peoria Riverfront Market

The Peoria Riverfront Market is the Peoria area’s largest farmers’ and artists’ market. Open every Saturday through September, the market has something for everyone. It features everything from fresh cheeses, flowers and produce, to art, music, and jewelry, so you’re sure to find exactly what you came for and more! And as the name implies, the market is located right on Water Street, meaning you get to shop with a beautiful view of the Illinois River.

Live Music at the Vineyard

If you’re a music lover, then the Mackinaw Valley Vineyard has the perfect summer lineup for you. Throughout the summer, the vineyard will be hosting various local bands for your enjoyment at just $5 per person! Bring a lawn chair or blanket and your favorite foods to enjoy a picnic with some live entertainment. The venue also offers wine tasting and beer (for those of you 21 and over) as well as snacks for an additional cost.

Movie in the Park

Sponsored by the Peoria Park District, movies in the park are shown throughout the summer. Movies have been shown across the city in Detweiller Park, Lakeview Park, Martin Luther King Jr. Park and more! Each ticket costs $20 but will cover up to eight guests in one pod. Pods have been spaced throughout the park according to CDC guidelines with designated walking paths, so you don’t have to worry about getting too close to anyone else. The official list of movies for this summer has not yet been released but it’s sure to be coming soon.

Peoria Riverfront

If you’ve exhausted all of your other options, I recommend taking a stroll along the Peoria Riverfront. Not only will you be taking a scenic route, but you will also come across some great locally-owned restaurants and shops along the way.

No matter your summer style, Peoria has something for everyone. So, grab your mask and find the adventure that’s perfect for you.

Allison is the Campus Correspondent and the Founder of the Bradley University chapter of Her Campus. She is a senior at Bradley majoring in Journalism and Social Media Marketing with a minor in Management & Leadership. In her free time she enjoys baking, hiking, or curling up on the couch with her cats.