mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

What Would Greta Thunberg Do?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Greta Thunberg is easily one of the most influential teens of the last couple of years. Many of us who keep up with the news have seen her face. She started an international environmentalist movement called Fridays for Future at the age of 15. Greta sat in front of the Swedish Parliament building for three straight weeks, during the school day in August of 2018. FInd out more information about Fridays for Future here. This climate strike then prompted international response. Cities and countries all over the world have become involved in Fridays for Future, and the turnout has been outstanding, to say the least:

New York: An estimated 300,000 people protested.

Australia: An estimated 150,000 people protested according to Austrailia News.

Quebec: Over 150,000 people protested.

And these are just a few examples. Worldwide, an estimated 1.5 million people joined together for Fridays for Future. According to BGSU, here in Bowling Green, Ohio, that’s enough people to fill the Stroh Center (our university’s indoor sports arena) 300 times. Greta has made a huge impact on the world and she isn’t stopping any time soon. She’s been mocked, and ridiculed and still she carries on, doing what she can to reduce her carbon footprint.

While Greta’s methods may be a bit too much for the rest of us to follow (she practices veganism, and refuses to fly commercial), there are still things we can do to help reduce the impact of our own carbon footprint. Huffpost provides some great examples:

1. Recycling!

There’s almost always a recycling center within a city’s limits and finding yours can be as easy as opening Google. 

2. Meatless Monday! (or any other day).

While some of us can’t give up meat entirely (whether it be for health reasons or more personal ones), it can still be beneficial to avoid meat one day out of the week.

3. Carpooling/Cycling/Walking!

Driving everywhere not only worsens the air quality around you. It also costs money (gas and repairs), and traffic can be frustrating. 

4. Plant a garden!

While some of us don’t have a green thumb, it can still be a fun side-project, and if it goes well you can boast to your friends!

5. Unplug your devices!

Even if you aren’t actively using your phone charger, electricity is still being routed to it. Unplugging your devices reduces the amount of energy you use and might save you some money.

There are so many things we can do to stop and reverse climate change. Before you do anything, try asking yourself this: What would Greta do?

Sawyer Stippich

Bowling Green '20

Hello! My name is Sawyer Stippich, I'm a third year student at Bowling Green State University and am set to graduate in the spring of 2020. I'm majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in English Literature. You can find some of my published work in Sonder Midwest, edition #2. As always, #TalonsUp
Lindsay is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at Bowling Green State University. She is a junior at Bowling Green State University, studying Human Development and Family Studies and Creative Writing. Lindsay is an active member of Falcon Miracles, formally known as Dance Marathon and H2O Church. In her free time, she can be found on campus in the HDFS lounge, exploring Perrysburg area or sitting at her favorite spot at Flatlands in downtown Bowling Green. Lindsay has high taste in home decor, fashion, and of course, coffee.