This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

As we enter into March and as the weather becomes warmer, the longest break during Spring semester, Spring Break, is swiftly approaching. Many are beginning to wonder how they will spend their Spring Break. If they’ll travel, if they’ll work and save money, if they’ll catch up on homework… here are a few other ideas to help you along.

Explore your college town

As a senior, I wish I had explored more of my college town and the hidden gems it had to offer. If you’re in a similar boat and have the time, Spring Break makes college towns kind of desolate and quiet, the perfect time to explore new places.

spring cleaning

Clean out your refrigerator, wipe your walls, change your air filters, and wash your pillows. Spring cleaning is a great way to spend your spring break because it can make the process of it much easier (e.g. each day can be focused on one room of the house). Breaking the process into parts can also help your be more thorough in your cleaning as you have more time. Not only does a clean environment reduce stress and depression, but it can also improve one’s immune system. It can also keep you safer as you clean dust, check your home for carbon monoxide, and check the batteries on your smoke detector.

Switch winter/summer clothes

The weather is getting warmer, and many will begin to wear sweatshirts rather than coats, or sandals rather than snow boots. As a result, switching out your winter clothes for your summer clothes is a great way to not only reset your wardrobe, but also an opportunity to reorganize your wardrobe.

movie/tv show catch up

If you’re like me, you have a whole list of movies and tv shows you plan to watch but never have the time to. Your week can be spent indulging yourself in all movies and shows you promised yourself you would watch. Finish the show you’re half way through. Finish the last episode of that season even though you stopped watching because you’re scared of how the season will end. Even having a marathon of a show or movie you’ve already watched can be a fun experience.

volunteer

It may not be the most glamorous or relaxing way to spend your time, but it will be greatly appreciated. There are many opportunities for individuals or groups to volunteer their time helping others over our spring break.

get ahead academically

I know many will eye roll at this one, but I really do feel as though your spring break is the perfect opportunity to catch up on anything academic. You can catch up on work you were behind in as well as get a head start on any upcoming assignments or projects. In addition to general academic work, you can also use the time to search for job or internships opportunities, as well as scholarships or grants to help pay for school.

try a new look

Wanting to try a new hair color but worried about if you’ll like it or not? Spring break is great time to get a new piercing, new hair-do, or new outfit, you’re able to see if you like it yourself. If you don’t like it, you have enough time to get the problem fixed (emergency hair appointment). Try a new look and take that risk!

Maria Duffy

Bowling Green '22

Maria Duffy is a fifth year Communication student at Bowling Green State University with a minor in Women's Studies. She hopes to get her Masters soon. Duffy has a passion for learning, writing, and empowering intersecting identities in terms of race and gender. They hope to inspire and work towards a more inclusive world.