Life > Experiences

Virtual Valentine’s Dates for You & Your (Long-Distance) Boo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Well, it’s that time of the year again when love is in the air! After researching the five love languages and thinking about my relationship status for this upcoming holiday, I’ve compiled a short list of a few dates that correspond with each love language. However, there’s a twist- each of these little dates can be done virtually since my boyfriend and I are currently over one hundred miles apart but still want to join in on Valentine’s day festivities. 

Words of Affirmation

If your or your partner’s love language includes words of affirmation, then writing a sweet love letter or poem would be the perfect gift! If you’re able to, handwrite it on a nice sheet of paper and send it in the mail! That could be a fun surprise, or you could write it up and read it to them over the phone to get their reaction in real-time, and to hear it from you directly could make it a little extra heartfelt.

physical touch

Obviously physical touch is the hardest love language to suffice in a long-distance relationship. So instead, maybe send a stuffed animal like a Squishmallow, Warmie, or Jellycat! With these, there are a variety of fun animals or objects to choose from, so pick something that your partner might have a niche obsession with or something of significance to both of you! You could also send a blanket or any article of clothing sprayed with your perfume/cologne as just another reminder to them of you!

quality time

If it doesn’t matter what you’re doing, as long as it’s together, then there are plenty of fun ways to spend time together over the phone! Streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Disney Plus offer a variety of different shows and movies, so FaceTime your partner and start the movie or tv show at the same time to enjoy it together! If you’d rather spend this time together more socially, play games over the phone! This could include anything from computer or mobile games to card games, to more intimate games such as We’re Not Really Strangers. If you two are just too wrapped up in work, then you can use features such as SharePlay with Spotify to listen to the same music while you work to feel more connected!

Cluster?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Courtesy of Venus ET Fleur

gift-giving

Gift-giving is one of my top love languages, so I love being able to spoil everyone around me no matter what the occasion may be, and Valentine’s day is no different! For this holiday, obviously, you know your partner better than anyone, but you pretty much can’t go wrong with the classic flowers and chocolate. I also like to make little gift baskets full of little goodies! You can easily put one of these together on a budget with just about anything found in the Valentine’s aisles at stores like Target, Walmart, or the dollar store! Plus receiving an unexpected gift in the mail would be such a sweet surprise.

acts of service

This is another love language that may be a little tricky with the distance, but it can still be done! Since you won’t be able to cook for them, you could send them their favorite comfort food through apps like DoorDash or Ubereats. Another thing could be calling them in the morning to wake them up to your voice rather than their alarm clock. You could also make them a playlist full of songs that remind you of them, and depending on the app you could make the album cover a picture of you together, and add a short and sweet bio reminding them of your love!

I hope you enjoyed reading about some of my potential virtual Valentine’s dates, and they inspired a few date ideas of your own! Have a fun and safe holiday! :)

Natalie Yonker

Bowling Green '24

Natalie is a junior at BGSU majoring in tourism, hospitality, and event management and minoring in marketing. This semester, she is participating in the Disney College Program. She is an active member of Chaarg in addition to Her Campus. She's passionate about all things Disney, reading, jewelry making, journaling, and health and wellness.