The Best College Budget-Friendly Spots in Bowling Green, Ohio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Do you love to go out to eat and try new restaurants? This article is for you. Does your weekly routine include enjoying a nice latte while you study? This article is also for you. Do you try to shop and support local businesses? You’ll love this article. As a Senior at BGSU, I have spent my fair share of time around town. I am still amazed at the amount of people I meet on campus who have barely spent any time in Downtown Bowling Green. While it can be expensive to try out new places or plan activities, I hope to share some of my favorite picks that I feel are a little friendlier for a college student budget. Here, I will be compiling my best experiences into two convenient category roundups, Coffee and Tea, and Food, for you as you look for new places to try on your college budget!

Coffee & tea

Alright, alright. What college student doesn’t love coffee shops? If you don’t like coffee, you can always try some new teas or other drinks and treats at the following spots. You’re sure to find a new drink you will love and maybe you’ll even become friends with the barista!

Grounds for thought

Grounds for Thought is a wonderful place to stop for coffee and a snack! They have been in Bowling Green since 1989 and are a favorite among locals and students alike. I visited Grounds for Thought for the first time during my freshman year and it instantly became a favorite of mine. If you don’t drink coffee, they have a wonderful selection of teas as well as pastries, sandwiches, ice cream, and more! In addition to all of their yummy eats, they have a large selection of used books as well as some vinyl records. Grounds for Thought is definitely more than worth checking out the next time you need a study spot.

The image above displays a milk tea drink from Lola’s with tapioca boba pearls.

Biggby

While Biggby Coffee is a chain, the Bowling Green location is a great spot for coffee and a quick bite to eat. They offer special discounts including a Buy-One-Get-One (BOGO) Free drink offer every Wednesday! In addition to the great deals, they have such a fun variety of coffee drinks that differ from other more popular chains and the staff is always so friendly. This is a location that my friends and I have frequently visited throughout our time at BGSU, and we have never been disappointed with the food or drinks we’ve ordered!

The photo above displays a Biggby Coffee pumpkin spice drink.

food

Kabob it

Kabob It is a wonderful option for a college student on a budget! They have a great variety of Mediterranean style food. If you order on a Wednesday, they have a “Wild Wednesday” where all gyros are 50% off! What’s better than a $3 gyro? They have lamb, chicken, and veggie options and offer carryout and curbside pickup as well as free delivery. You can make Kabob It your weekly lunch spot and try new Mediterranean sides with your gyros.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSt4pCJrLnO/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

BG burgers

If you’re in the mood to “build your own” burger but you don’t feel like cooking, BG Burgers is a great spot for you! They offer takeout and delivery through their ordering system on their website! They have a portion of their menu where customers can create a custom burger for $9.50, including a side of house made potato chips. BG Burgers also offers a variety of specialty burgers and if you’re not in the mood for a burger, you can order a sub or a sandwich from their menu too!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUAv24xMuBg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Everyday People Cafe

Are you a brunch fan? Everyday People Cafe is a great local spot for breakfast, brunch, and lunch! They have a nice variety of options on their menu including classic favorites like omelets and french toast. If you are planning on lunch, they have some specialty sandwiches to choose from too. The next time you’re planning a brunch date, you should definitely check out Everyday People!

Sundae Station

If ice cream is your favorite food and top love language, you need to stop by Sundae Station. They’re a local favorite and they were voted as the number 1 place for ice cream in the Best of Wood County 2021 awards. Sundae Station offers soft serve and dipped ice cream as well as a variety of other frozen treats! In addition to their wonderful dessert selections, they also have food items on the menu, including yummy sandwiches and appetizer style classics. Who wouldn’t be down for an ice cream date?!

I hope my BG budget picks were helpful for you and that you have a great time trying out a new spot with some friends!

Anna Kubitz

Bowling Green '22

Anna is a student at Bowling Green State University studying Visual Communication Technology and minoring in Marketing. She is chapter President and Campus Coordinator of Her Campus at BGSU. She loves fashion, music, matcha lattes, and is passionate about creating beautiful things. Anna also creates midsize fashion and lifestyle content on Instagram, @annakubitz.